828 yards..... for First Time

scsims

I finally had a little to no wind day to push it out to 828 yards. If you remember my last shooting session was at 700 yards and I did pretty good keeping 3 groups under MOA and didn't have a hard time getting on target. All shots landed with in the silohette.

828 was a little different story i think the 168 gr SMKs out of my 308 are starting to show why people switch to the 175 at the further distances.

First I tested the 100 yards zero to make sure everything looked good.

IMG_2374.jpg

With the 100 yard zero on mark me and my 2 boys 7 and 10 years old went next door to shoot the furthest possible without finding a new farm to shoot at. So we were able to get 828 yards. The first 3 shots only one hit the target with 23.9 MOA up and 2 MOA of wind left. I was about 1.5 MOA low and 1 MOA right. Wind was variable from nothing to 5mph.

I adjusted to 25.3 MOA up and 3 MOA left and the next group I was able to get all three on target 2 were 2 inches of each other and the other was 10" to the left as if the wind stopped when I pulled the trigger.

The last group I fine tuned a little more and was able to basically center them on the silohette in a 6 3/8 " group.

My 10 year old shot some as well, he hit the silohette in the head twice!!

IMG_2371.jpg

Yes it is.... funny thing is I was off my game a bit. This was the first time taking the boys with me since they are out of school now. I noticed when I went to clean the rifle that I had made some rookie mistakes. I had left the paralax at 100 and the power was set to 12. Must have left it from when I was checking the 100 yard zero.

Makes me wonder if I'd might have shot a little better if I had the paralax at 800 and the power to 20. I guess I'll find out next time.

Nice shooting . I like the customized target or in redneck terms the name of the target:):)

Not bad at all. Trying to stretch beyond your limits is always challenging. The parallax error is enough to account for a good bit of the opening up of your group. Not having the power turned up all the way to 20 may not have hurt at all, and may have helped depending on the conditions. Mirage can be a real PITA when you turn it up over 10x some days, again depending on the conditions.

Sometimes not maxing out your power can also be a benefit in that you just center up on your target and relax when you can't see all of the fine detail. Think about trying to keep your cross hairs on a fly at 100yds vs just trying to keep them centered on a base ball at the same range. In fighting to keep them centered on the fly it's easy to get to pushing the shot vs just relaxing and trying to keep centered on the baseball while you squeeze off a round.

Sometimes in fighting for that extra bit of precision you can end up working against yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.