80gr. Sierra MK for .224

Exhaust3

I was wondering does anyone have load information, specifically powder charges and muzzle velocity, for a .223 using the 80gr. SMK? I have a Howa chambered for .223 but it's at my 'smiths getting a new tube and a rechamber to .223 AI.
grin.gif

would look in your sierra manual would be in there.... couldnt tell you any off hand, will take a look if i can find it.

There is a butt-load of data out there for the .223 w/ 80gr bullets, mostly for AR's though. The trick is piecing together the data in a useful fashion, i.e. what case were they using, what primer, what powder, how much, what velocity, moly or naked, OAL, etc. And then half of the data (or more) doesn't include chrono data.

Search the forums at:
Florida HighPower
AR-15.com Competitive Shooting & the Accurate AR
AR-15.com Reloading
NationalMatch.us

Also, there is some good info at:
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info_reloading.htm

from a prominent AR gunsmith.

The new Sierra loading manual splits up the loading data btwn gas guns and bolt guns, since the bolt guns are a little less sensitive to pressures.

Lots of data out there, but it'll take a fair amount of work to sift thru it all. And if you are using an AI (from the sounds of it), well, you'll be largely on your own
wink.gif
Enjoy!

Monte

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited by: milanuk ]

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited by: milanuk ]

you didn't say what twist you have,so I will tell you that you need a 1/8 or a 1/9 twist to shoot the 70 to 80 gr bullets. I shoot out of my AR 15 80 gr. SMK with Varget 24 grs. You can use varget,vihtavouri N140,AA-2520,reloader 15,win 748,and BLC2 to name some.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.