80 grain VLD's to mag length in AR

RyanG

Will the 80 grain VLD load to magazine length for an AR?

Will the 77's for that matter?

The Berger manual says that they will load to 2.260 but it also says that for the 90's and I dont see how they will fit.

Thanks.

I trying to get some heavier loads for my AR.... yes I have a 1/8 twist.... and cant get Matchkings right now... out of stock....

Again Thanks

Ryan

I got to sportsmans today and they just got a shipment of 77 matchkings so I picked up a couple of hundred of them. I like the looks of that 80 grain VLD and that .445 BC I just dont wanna single load if I dont have to. Not a 75 grain amax in either Sportmans or Cabelas.... If I can get these to shoot like I want I will just order 500 Matchkings.....

Thanks for your response.... Think that I got lucky finding the matchkings today.

A magazine can be modded to allow a little extra space. I've heard of special made vld mags, but never found one yet.

I did see a vid posted on this site by a member who modded his plastic mags to fit longer 243 wssm rounds. He was able to get out to 2.40". I tried a similar mod on a .223 plastic mag, (problem being it is double stack, not single stack). After modding it enough to allow the tips of the bullets to extend beyond the front of the mag I can get rounds just shy of 2.35" coal. However, I think it is pushing a double stack a bit much. I am missing out on the best part of the magazine well ( a groove) that gives a bit more space to the system. The mod makes (on mine) the setup a little less reliable, but it is nice having the rounds as such. I have not tried it with plastic tips yet, I would not be surprised if it bent them. I haven't converted a mag to single stack yet, maybe one of these days.

I looked for the thread of modding a 243 wssm, but after a quick search I could not find it. However, here is the video, if one of you remember the thread I am talking about, please link it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.