80 grain Berger VLD (.224) on game?

sajmon

Hi. This is my first post.

Have anyone used the 80 grain Berger VLD on game?
I'm planning to build a 223AI around the 80 grains Berger VLD.
The game I going to hunt with this rifle is roe deer och red fox.

If someone have experience from the 90 grain Berger VLD, I'm happy to hear you out to :)

great bullet for deer and antelope,even dropped a few hogs with them, I am shooting a 223wssm with a 1/8 barrel and think its the best small caliber rifle I have shot. tried some 90s but they would only stabilize to around 400yrds at my velocity

That sounds great! :)

Can you tell me more about the bullet behaviour after the impact?

Did the bullet pass through the animals?

Does the 80 gr Berger VLD have a delayed expansion, like the ones in cal 30?

have had some pass through on deer but all had major damage to the motor room, in the hogs they stayed in and opened up a good wounde channel,the bullets I recovered where around 60-75 grains, I did shoot one deer that did run a bit and didnt have alot of damage but the bullet somehow went between ribs on both sides and never hit anything other than flesh.

not sure on the delayed expansion,

Jared

I did shoot one deer that did run a bit and didnt have alot of damage but the bullet somehow went between ribs on both sides and never hit anything other than flesh.

What kind of deer did you shoot? How much do they weigh?

The other deers that you shoot, did the bullet ruin much meat on them?

Last edited:
I forgot two questions!

Which distances did you shoot the deers? Is the bullet appropriate as a longrange bullet?

the deer I shot average about 120 lbs,not much meat damage, shot one less than 100 yrds and two over 400yrds with similar results

No answer?

I have another question to.

You wrote that you have shot some "hogs". Do you mean Wild Boar or Ground Hogs?

I shot a whitetail doe with one at 125 yards out of a 22-243 and it dropped on the spot. It shattered the front shoulder then hamburgered the top half of the heart then shattered the offside shoulder. I would definitely not hesitate to use it on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.