8 Big Horn Sheep Killed

You may be right and they called it something else who knows. We do know this that's 8 that can't be harvested by hunting...shame.

What was killed? Rams or Ewes & lambs? Hard to understand how you could run over that many in one sitting. Like RockyMtnMT said 'glad it wasn't me.' Sheep are the ultimate

What was killed? Rams or Ewes & lambs? Hard to understand how you could run over that many in one sitting. Like RockyMtnMT said 'glad it wasn't me.' Sheep are the ultimate

On more than one occasion I have come upon a herd of sheep on the highway on Lost Trail pass in South West MT. Come around the corner and there they are in a tight little group covering both lanes. Without good reaction time, you go through the herd. Then you hope the guy behind you has as good of reactions as you do.

Steve

TOO TALL, A while back I heard a semi hit alot more than one sheep, your area, I THINK they ticketed him, also they have a sign for how many hit on that stretch and it seems like it was really high, cant remeber #'s. Witness said he was driven like a jerk.

sp6X6, We have flashing signs, where I live, for a 30 mile streach for deer and elk wintering area but the semi's don't slow down. Hundreds killed every year. Bad thing is the semi's don't slow down. But when you run over a HERD of Bighorn Sheep after seeing flashing signs to slow down - the death penalty might be in order! At the least their should be some serious tickets. I know, they can appear out of nowhere, and those arn't avoidable, but this day & age you can determine when excessive speed was the culprit. Sorry for my ranting but to see that number of Bighorns killed in one pile makes me sick.

That is exactly what happened here, we have the light and signs posted in multiple spots

sp6X6, We have flashing signs, where I live, for a 30 mile streach for deer and elk wintering area but the semi's don't slow down. Hundreds killed every year. Bad thing is the semi's don't slow down. But when you run over a HERD of Bighorn Sheep after seeing flashing signs to slow down - the death penalty might be in order! At the least their should be some serious tickets. I know, they can appear out of nowhere, and those arn't avoidable, but this day & age you can determine when excessive speed was the culprit. Sorry for my ranting but to see that number of Bighorns killed in one pile makes me sick.

Then when you hit a wolf or a grizzly or any other endangered animal, you can do jail time. Unless someone is running them over and taking them for the meat or the trophy (that would be poaching) then I think we are asking for trouble. Start that ball rolling down the hill and the next thing you know running over the neighbors dog when he chases your car will cost you like you hit his kid. After all he loved the dog and you should have been more careful. Where does it stop? What if you hit a California Condor that flies up off of a road kill (that someone else is doing time for) in front of your car. Endangered species, signs on the road, flashing lights. The negligence is overwhelming. The wanton disregard for the life of an endangered animal. It may even be looked as purposeful, a hate crime possibly. I can easily see a jury of you're peers giving you a 25 to life sentence.

Seriously, isn't the 1000's of dollars in damage enough?

Steve

I drove that stretch of highway about 8 times in Oct and Nov traveling to and fro from a job, and I might be loosing my mind, but I dont remember seeing any flashing lights or watch out fopr sheep signs. That can be one real icey stretch of road this time of year. It goes up through a shady canyon that gets very little sun in the winter. I dont like seeing the sheep get hit, but I'm with Steve. Getting fined for hitting wildlife on the road is going too far. I have hit 8 deer over the years (two hit me) and I can guarantee ya that I didn't hit a one intentionally and I was obeying the speed limits. For Pete sake, half the road miles in Montana are lined with watch for deer next "x" miles. Does anyone think this guy hit them on purpose? Steve's right... he'll be paying big bucks to repair damage. That's good enough for me.

Another thing. This is not some huge sheep population disaster. A lot more sheep die of disease in Montana than highway fatalities.

just my $.02

No there shouldn't be a fine for hitting bighorn sheep on the highway.

If anything we the 'State' should stop putting that 'Ice Melt' on the roads surface.

Between 200 and 300 sheep winter in the bottoms, in Sanders County. And most days they are fine, but some days they are all up licking the blacktop. In my County, they hit from 10 to 40 every couple years.

Where I live, at the right time of day, you can see 100-200 sheep in 20 miles.

Finally some sense among sportsmen. This is almost like one group of sportsmen wanting to outlaw long range hunting because they don't agree with it, not realizing that they are digging their own hunting grave. It's one little piece at a time. Next thing you know there will be certain highways that are closed at night. Probably here in MT. MT is not a zoo for the rest of the country. (Maybe we should charge entrance fees)

All of the laws protecting the wildlife are each, one in it self, to putting animals on the same playing field as people concerning their rights. It sounds pretty far fetched but I guarantee a generation or so ago never thought that a bird could shut down a whole states logging industry. One of the pinheads that BO appointed (I forget his name right now) has publicly advocated for animals to have the right to sue people. We all need to consider the long term ramifications and precedent that is set by the laws that we pass. We need to do things that will help prevent the wildlife from being run over where we can. But not by intruding on the rights of people, or giving the animals rights. Fence sections of the road or install tunnels or both, where monetarily feasible. I would be willing to pay for this through hunting license fees of some sort. After all it is we the sportsman that actually pay for conservation.

Sorry for the rant,

Steve

Montana Rifleman, Just to clarify, I was reffering to highway from Plains to TFalls. That semi trucker had a big cow catcher bumper and just mowed the sheep over, total disriguard for them

No there shouldn't be a fine for hitting bighorn sheep on the highway.

If anything we the 'State' should stop putting that 'Ice Melt' on the roads surface.

Between 200 and 300 sheep winter in the bottoms, in Sanders County. And most days they are fine, but some days they are all up licking the blacktop. In my County, they hit from 10 to 40 every couple years.

Where I live, at the right time of day, you can see 100-200 sheep in 20 miles.

That is a real good point right there. I see sheep down on 191 between Gallatin Gateway and Big SKY licicking up minerals off the side of the road all the time. Haven't seen any dead ones yet which amazes me.

Montana Rifleman, Just to clarify, I was reffering to highway from Plains to TFalls. That semi trucker had a big cow catcher bumper and just mowed the sheep over, total disriguard for them

sp6x6, I wasn't reffering to your post about that truck driver. If it can be proved or there were witnesses that he didn't try to slow down and safely avoid them, then they should give him the max fine and maybe even a day or two in jail, but only if it can be proven.

sp6x6, I wasn't reffering to your post about that truck driver. If it can be proved or there were witnesses that he didn't try to slow down and safely avoid them, then they should give him the max fine and maybe even a day or two in jail, but only if it can be proven.

If it can be proven that he hit them intentionally, then he should be brought up on poaching charges. I'll go with that.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.