7wsm update

chrishatley

Hey guys, a while back i posted about building my walmart super shadow into a long range gun. I put a muzzle brake on the factory barrel, and got where i could hit a groundhog shaped piece of steel at 600 yards every time. That still was'nt good enough for me..... Then while on the classified section here, i came across a Broughton barrel for sale by Judd. I snatched it up. I took it and my barreled action to Shannon Lowman to hook it up. A week later I had it back with a custom muzzel brake, and thread protector to boot! Next i orderd a blank from Richards Microfit and took it to Evans Compton. He roughed me out a thumbhole tactical from it. The pattern was on a 700 action, so i'm doing all the inleting myself. After the stock is finished, the plan is a jewell trigger, and better glass. Thanks to Judd for the barrel, and everyone else here for giving me some place to learn about this! My goal for the end of the year is to be able to hit good at 1000 yards. What do you guys think? Capable setup?

Attachments

• gun 2.jpg
    gun 2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 76
Well, i finally got the action down, and the trigger guard inletted. Now i guess i'll finish shaping the stock, and glass the action in. I don't know whether or not to glass the action only, or that and the first couple inches of the barrel. Any thoughts guys? Also, which recoil pad? I've been thinking pachmeyer, but from reading here, seems some like the kick eez. ???

Attachments

• gun3.jpg
    gun3.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 68
Hands down i would go with the limbsaver recoil pad. They are the best. Also i would stick with the heavier higher bc bullets like the 180gr vld berger. Good luck, also try reloader25, it sees to be a good powder for the 7wsm.

glass the action only said:
I usually glass all of the area from the first 2 or 3" of barrel to well behind the recoil lug to get a stable platform on either side of the recoil lug. This is the area for the action screw that gets the most tightening.

JM $.02

Budlight, i will defintley try some of the matrix bullets. I had been shooting the berger 168's, and the 150 matchkings. I have h-1000, and re25 as well as several other powders to try. My factory barrel seemed to like magpro and h-1000 best. How do the matrix bullets have a bc so much higher than the berger 168? Also, my smith said this is a "tight chamber" so i should reduce known loads and work them back up. Will a tight chamber reduce case capacity? Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
Alright guys, my rifle is almost done now. All thats left is to get a trigger. I now have 31 rounds down the tube, and must say that I have never had a rifle so accurate and easy to clean! As far as optics, the scope mounted is the same bushnell that was on it in factory form. My dad is letting me use a spare osprey 10-40x50 until I can save up for a nightforce. I do have to get a rail, and 30mm rings before I can mount it though. I ended up bedding the entire rifle and floating the barrel, but could only get about an inch and a quarter of past the recoil lug due to the location of the first vent in the stock. I also used a limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad, and it works great! Hopefully i'll get to kill with this thing come rifle season!gun)Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Chris. gun done.jpg

just another thought, I shoot the 180 bergers at 3005 with a 28'' barrel with 68 grains of RL 22, but I would start at 65 grains and work up in 1/2 grain charges. Rifle looks sweat, nice job and good luck

Still wondering about the tight chamber thing. Anything, anyone?

In my 7mm mag I had a tight ( minimum dimensions ) chamber. with the new barrel. The loads that I had loaded for the 7 mag other barrel, factory chamber, were way too hot for the new barrel.
I am not sure why...Must have something to do with capacity, maybe cartridge length, because after the first firing, I only neck size my brass. I was surprised that it made that much difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.