7wsm throat length?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by emmagator, Jan 10, 2011.

1. emmagator

emmagator Well-Known Member

I plan on shooting 168 180 bergers and some of the wildacat bullets if they ever get going. Im ordering a 26" #6 1-9 or 1-8.5 twist Pac-Nor barrel. What should i have them set the throat at?

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

If they ever get going? They've been going for quite a while.

Sierra is going to start making a 180g SMK that needs an 8" twist, you might want to go 8" so you can shoot everything.

Are you trying to fit them in a magazine? That's the big factor on deciding where your throat needs to be.

3. emmagator

Your buying bullets from Wildcat? Ill be using a Alpha Industries WSM magazine.

4. geargrinder

5. emmagator

Thats the thing i havnt worked up a round yet. What issues are there to getting the throat matched after barrel has been installed?

6. geargrinder

The Alpha mags have 2.985" inside dimension available. I like to have about .010" clearance inside the mag. I also don't like to jam the bullets more than .010-.015"

So you could just send them a dummy round set at 2.960". That would let you be comfortable in the magazine, jam the bullets, and/or chase the throat a little.

The Berger VLD's both have the same shape in front of the ogive. So it doesn't matter which you send for a dummy round. The 180g will just have more bullet in the case when seated at the lands.

I don't know if Wildcat uses the same shape so I don't know if you will be able to reach the lands and still use the mag.

It's much easier to do any barrel work with the barrel off.