7WSM Question

NCBoy

Recently I had Kevin Rayhill build me a custom 7 WSM on a Savage Action. Love the gun. I took it out to the range last Saturday. Shot three types of bullets Berger Hunting VLD, Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tip, and Nosler Accubonds. All were 140grain and had 68 grains of H4831SC. The range was in the mountains and I was shooting uphill. My bag rest was too short. I had to set it up on my reloading box for it to work. This was not the most stable rest. All three shot sub MOA and the Bergers were wonderful They shot 3/8 inch at 100 and 1/2 inch at 200. The only issue was when I loaded the shell into the chamber it felt tight. It fit in my magazine and you could pull the shell out with no problem but it was still get into the chamber. Is there any problem with shooting the Bergers and them being a little stiff going into the chamber. I do not want to change much because they shot so good. Thanks in advance for your input and sorry for the long thread.

What was you brass condition?? Were the Bergers set to the rifling? Either slightly long rounds or brass in need of a shoulder bump-back would cause this.

What is your finished neck dimension with the bergers compared to the others. Nos. bullets in 7mm tend to be around .2835, so the bergers might be tighter if they are true .284. If they won't go in, they may be a bit tight to let the case release the bullet well, and you may end up reaming your necks a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.