7WSM loads

squirrelduster

I just purchased a Savage model 116 in 7 WSM and would like to shoot the 168 bergers or the Match kings.
Any body have any good shooting hunting loads?
This is my first Savage so I don't know what to expect. I hear they shoot real well for a factory rifle.
Thanks

I do not have any load info for you but I am curious what OAL the Magazine will allow. I think the savage short action is more like a medium length action and may allow the longer bullets to be seated out quite long. If you do not mind would you measure AOL with a round that is seated out to max mag length and let me know what you find. Thanks in advance.

You mean Savage Model 16 right, the short action, large shank, center feed model chambered in 7WSM, right?

I have two Savage Model 16s, one with the detachable magazine and one with the internal box magazine and they both measure 3" on the inside of the magazine.

The Model 116 is a long action and does not come in 7WSM.

Yes it is the 16 with a detachable magazine.
I pick it up tomorrow.
I've heard good things about the new Savage rifles so I decided to try one out.

dwm - what kind of groups do you get out of your model 16?

I have not worked with the 168,but have with the 180 Berger and 175 Matchking.My go to powder for the 180 is h-1000,also had good luck with Retumbo and R-22.With the 175 Matchking i had the best luck with Retumbo.I have used the Matchkings and the Bergers to hunt with for the last 3 years with good luck.

I live in Fort Bragg,but was born and raised in Bodega Bay.

There's a story behind this, but I never shot either of my Savage Model 16, 7 WSM in the factory Weather Warrior configuration, IE pillar bedded plastic stock.

One is now in a pillar bedded wood stock from Savage and has the 7 WSM barrel back on it and the other is in a Stockade custom stock with a 6.5 WSSM barrel. The first has a SS trigger (very nice and affordable also) tuned to a little over a pound and the second still has the factory Accutrigger.

They are both shooting great.

I am not sure which version of model 16 you are getting though, Savage has made some changes to the actions: controlled-round feed bolt head and standing ejector or newer Heavy Magnum bolt head is which not controlled-round feed. And I hear they cahnge the bolt release too.

The 168 Berger and 160 Accubonds shoot great with H1000 around 69 grains ...

I just loaded my new savage 16 lefty to COL of 2.94 (2 thousandths off lands) with a Nosler accubond 160 g with no problems ejecting. 68 grains H1000 and Fed 215M primers. Sweet load. Was picking off golf balls at 200 yards!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts