7wsm load development and results

G

broke in the 7wsm yesterday...

she likes VVN 560 and H 4350

the barrel is a 9 twist Broughton 5C

7wsm.jpg

ignore the bullet hole in the lower right .. that was from zeroing the scope

Ric,
What other powders did you try, I am just going to start load developement on my 7wsm (of sorts). not to be a S.I. but watch out with VV 5 series powders they do tend to be throat burners. did you try RL22 or imr 7828????
thanks,UB

I shot my 7 wsm yesterday and have been having excellent luck with the Nosler 120 BT and IMR 7828 short Cut. With my 25 inch tube I was getting 3600 fps and excellent accuracy. The 7828 short cut is definetely the fastest powder for the 7 wsm I have tried it in, that is with the 120 and 140 Noslers. With the 175 sierra and 180 berger try some Retumbo it usually works. You have a good shooting Rifle Its always amazing how accurate the WSM are.

I didn't know that about the VVN powders....

This rifle just seemed to love it!

Thanks for the heads up... I'll try a few more powders...

Ric, Nosler uses V560 for all accuracy testing. Most guys I talk to who shoot the 500 series powders in high power, get average barrel life. I've shot alot of V550 in a 7-08 and haven't had any problems with throat, etc. Of course, using as a hunting rifle will probably never see burn out like a target shooter. V500 series are VERY speedy compared to most powders. Hard to find a substitute if it shoots well. Also, not temperature sensitive, so makes a great hunting powder, maybe not target powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wapiti,

Thank you for the heads up... I talked to Chris about the throat thing and seems that the BR guys were saying this alot but not alot of concrete proof. I will be shooting this rifle alot just cause it is so much fun to shoot....
My main concern is the temp. sensitive issue... out here in Wyo you can hunt the morning at 30* and then by 1 p.m. it could be 75* so the "swings" out here can be drastic especially in the high desert.
What impressed me was the fact I shot 4 different bullets with this powder. and they all printed near the same place... I have velocities of 2800 to 2990 fps... in a range of 150 gr bullets to 175 gr bullets.

The 560 wasn't real hard to clean either...

so far I just like the stuff.. and hell you gotta buy it 2lbs at a time so I need to use it.

wapiti13 and Ric,
did not mean to offend but VV's 5 series powders are double based powders that do work well in certain applications, but they have a higher flame temp. than a single base powder. most shooters on this site have educated me that a single base ball powder has an even lower flame temp. than an extruded powder. just as a final note on the subject, me and goodgrouper used to have absolutely identical 22-250AI's same action ,barrel etc. the only difference was that his barrel loved VVN550 and mine liked IMR4831. I will not re-barrel for several years and goodgrouper has re-barreled some time ago.
not soap boxing but one more item to ponder.GOOD LUCK
UB

I have a GAP 7mm wsm that Chris built and it shoots the 175 SMks great. My favorite load right now it 62 grains of RL22 with 175 SMKs. I tried Retumbo and it shot great also. George recommends 64 grains of H4831SC but it is finally getting cool enough in MS to try that load!

uncle B ,

I intend to try a few more powders. Mostly because I do like the Hogdon Powders...

derek,
RL powders shoot wonderfully in alot of rifles but I have found they can't stand the "swings" here in the high desert... not without a bit of anxiety anyway... ;-)

I've shot alot out of two diff. 7WSM. A Browning and an HS Precision. I've never had much luck w/ 4831, RL-19/22, Magpro or Magnum etc. I've had best accuracy w/ AA4350 and Varget. Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.