7wsm dead?

ishootkittens

is the 7mm wsm DEAD?

Winchester's own caliber isnt being offered in their new rifles! ***!

I was set on getting a .270wsm but someone brought to my attention how great the 7mm wsm was and i was really excited about purchasing one! well... now i cant FIND ONE!!! if winchester stops producing firearms then browning stops..then the other handful of manufactures stops producing this caliber... WHAT WILL I DO! im too poor for a custom build... college kid can barely afford ramen noodles! lol

is the 7mm wsm DEAD?

I was set on getting a .270wsm but someone brought to my attention how great the 7mm wsm was and i was really excited about purchasing one! well... now i cant FIND ONE!!! if winchester stops producing firearms then browning stops..then the other handful of manufactures stops producing this caliber... WHAT WILL I DO! im too poor for a custom build... college kid can barely afford ramen noodles! lol

Call Savage and order one. They'll make it for you.

Tank

im about too! my only worries are... ammo. If they stop producing the firearms.. will they stop porducing the ammo. I look to handload for the most part, but i dont want to have to search across the world for 7mm wsm brass. Winchester was going to be the first place i looked for the brass! Why the hell is that caliber dying! I thought it was pretty popular?!

The 270 and 300 WSM are kind of trumping it. It is a good caliber. I wouldn't worry about brass supply. As long as there is 270 and 300 WSM brass, you can make 7mm WSM brass. As far as Winchester brass, stay away from it. Buy some Norma or Remmy 300WSM brass. It suppose to hold up better. In my 300WSM I could only get three productive loads from the brass before it went to crap.

Tank

Don't buy federal 300wsm brass either. I ordered a package of 50 for my savage and 10% had laminations in the necks. Not to mention the primer pockets were looser when they where new than my Remington 300rum brass after 5 loads.

A 111LRH with a long throat would be pretty cool.

Too bad that they dropped the 7WSM. I 'll have to buy back one of the 2 that I sold. They seemed to be a little more accurate than the others...

I always thought that if a guy could only have one rifle a M70 7wsm would be a **** good choice.

Looks like Browning still offers it.

its just those **** berger bullets that caught my eye! Those 180 vld are so nice! Im not going to pick a firearm because of a "cool" bullet. But those 7's reeallly have alot of ammo choices. The 7rem is a really nice gun too and I may have to look into it. I wasss 10 seconds from buying a .270wsm too. Now im back at square one... im going insane!

its just those **** berger bullets that caught my eye! Those 180 vld are so nice! Im not going to pick a firearm because of a "cool" bullet. But those 7's reeallly have alot of ammo choices. The 7rem is a really nice gun too and I may have to look into it. I wasss 10 seconds from buying a .270wsm too. Now im back at square one... im going insane!

Nothing wrong with the 270wsm and Berger 150's or Hornady 150 SST's. You'll get some serious velocity, accuracy, and hitting power down range.

Tank

is the 7mm wsm DEAD?

Buy used!!! I've had just as much luck finding rifles that shoot used as new. I've moved beyond being a starving college student but I'm not afraid to pinch my pennies for when I need things like new barrels!!
I'm on my 2nd 7wsm barrel. I love the caliber for elk, deer, and antelope. It works great and it's a real pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:
Buy used!!! I've had just as much luck finding rifles that shoot used as new. I've moved beyond being a starving college student but I'm not afraid to pinch my pennies for when I need things like new barrels!!
I'm on my 2nd 7wsm barrel. I love the caliber for elk, deer, and antelope. It works great and it's a real pleasure to shoot.

How many rounds did you get through your tube before a rebarrel?

Tank

I can't say how many rounds that first barrel was good for. It never would shoot 168 or 180 Bergers, so that was a dissapointment. It did shoot 150 Sciroccos very well and 160 Accubonds even better (1/2 MOA) but I really wanted to shoot the Bergers as well as lighten the rifle so... When it stopped shooting the Sciroccos as good as ot used to (maybe 600 rounds of not entirely prudent use or care) it was time for a new bbl, stock, and scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.