7WSM 180 Berger takes down two Grizzlies!

Skyking

Official LRH Spponsor
Well I helped a few friends built two 7wsm's. There first custom guns. The guns got finished up two days before there hunt. So did not have a lot of time to developed a load and DOPE for them. We did manage to go out the day before they left for Alaska and hit the steel at 1000 yards. I loaded up there IPhones with Bulletflight and showed them how to use it. Also got them a Kestrel 3500 weather station. Feeling confident with how they where shooting, I was crossing my fingers that they would like there new toys and know how to use the program.

Well here are the pictures for there hunt. They are sold the 7wsm and Nightforce scopes.

9 foot Grizzle. 350 yards. One shoot. Dead!
KNELLE-1.jpg

498 yard one shoot!
KNELLESheep.jpg
KNELLESheep.jpg

250 yard one shoot 7 foot Grizzle
bhaynie.png

bhaynie.png

Last edited:
Wow...great critters. Would love to hunt up there someday... Thanks for the pics. Think you could get your friends to write up their story?

Wow...great critters. Would love to hunt up there someday... Thanks for the pics. Think you could get your friends to write up their story?

Thanks guys!

So for them writing up something. I will ask, but I really don't see that happening. They are not the type.

Wow, great hunt and great shooting! Thanks for sharing the pics and report. I have never had the pleasure to hunt Griz but may in the future if I can swing it. Looks like they had the same kind of terminal results on the big bears that I have with Bergers on Elk , deer and so on. A lot can be said for a steady rest and a good shooter on any game. And an accurate bullet doesn't hurt either.

Congrats to the hunters and their well placed shots.

Jeff

Thanks guys. Someday i will be the one behind one of those big bears.

The gun is a Precision Shooting Sports light weight hunter. It is built off of there action. I have since gone with Bighorn actions. The load I use I all the 7wsm is h1000 with the 180 vld's.

I agree a very well placed shoot can do a lot to any animal your shooting at. Also the confidence the shooter has after being able to know where the gun is shooting does more for a successful hunt then anything.

Thanks guys. Someday i will be the one behind one of those big bears.

The gun is a Precision Shooting Sports light weight hunter. It is built off of there action. I have since gone with Bighorn actions. The load I use I all the 7wsm is h1000 with the 180 vld's.

I agree a very well placed shoot can do a lot to any animal your shooting at. Also the confidence the shooter has after being able to know where the gun is shooting does more for a successful hunt then anything.
Emphasis mine.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.