7stw

trueblue

Question for those on this forum who shoot a 7mm STW. Do you like the caliber, and how is the recoil ? Does this caliber need a muzzle break ? If you were going to build a custom rifle, would you still chose this caliber over other 7mm calibers ? I have a custom 7mm barrel coming soon and am trying to decide on chambering it in 7mm Rem Mag or 7 STW. This will be my elk rig. Thanks for your responses.

I agree

I am having a 7rem built right now. I went with a 28" barrel and feel that it will give me the velcoity that I need with a little more barrel life. THat said..If is was building a dedicate elk gun, I would go for a STW with a 28"+ barrel.

Mine is a Deer gun set up for 750 and under.

Look at the bullet you want to shoot and the velcoity you want to push it and see what looks best. I would also look at a 7-300WSM.

Willys

my first custom was a 7mm stw and i love it 140 gn bullets shooting 3500 fps into .5 groups whats not to love as far as a muzzle brake goes i've never shot mine with out one so i dont know what the recoil is like but with it it kicks like my .243. i would definatly recomend the 7 stw

Thanks for the replies. My next question is do you have trouble reloading for the 7STW. I was thinking about trying 168g. Bergers, but the COAL is 3.650, according to Walt Berger, and I am having trouble clearing the bottom of my Forester microseater die. Also, don't seem to have any adjustment left on die, screwed all the way down to get the COAL of 3.650. Is anyone reloading 168g Bergers for 7STW ?

I have fallen in love with my 7 MM STW. Loading for it has not been a problem have three different loads that shoot to nearly same POI at two hundred yards. For me it has been the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. If I had to do it again I would certainly build another.
Sorry can't help with Bergers yet. Shooting Accubonds and SMK's

I load the Berger 168VLD's in my custom 7STW with no problems.Those VLD's tend to shoot best just kissing the lands but mine still shoots 3 shot 1/2 in. cloverleafs seated short enough to work thru the magazine. Also has been a great bullet for whitetails at a great variety of ranges.

I am using the Bergers in my STW also. I have a Wyatt's mag box, so I run mine at 3.80 OAL. I also had my reamer made to that length of dummy round to be able to touch the lands. It is a great caliber. Mine is a 28" barrel and shoots the 168's at 3340 fps. I do have a brake and the recoil is not worth mentioning. My fiance has confiscated it now since I use my 338 Edge.

TMR,
Was there a specific reason you went with coal of 3.80 and had a special reamer made for that length ? Was it so less of the bullet was farther down the neck, into the casing on your reloads ? My custom barrel is not chambered yet, so I am wondering about this.I was planning on chambering at the saami dimensions. Is there an advantage to going longer ?

I love my 7 STW. I also a member of the STW club (see below). This cartridge is the cats ***. Forget the Ultra mag - go with the STW. I personally use the 160 accubond. I used the Cauterucios before that, but since the accubonds came out, it is all I use.

Can't say enough about this round.

Well I guess I'll be joining the 7STW Club by this summer. With some good advice from TMR, I will be getting a new reamer in this caliber. Plan on trying Retumbo and H1000 for powder . Berger 168 VLD, Barnes TSX 160, or Nosler partition 160 for bullets.

It looks like I have shot out my 257-STW and with only 400 rounds!!! I won't be going this route again. I have lots of 7STW brass so I'm going to give this round a try, What barrel and what twist would you guys use?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.