7STW sizing dies? Mine are not sizing down the web enough

mikea5232

What are you all using for dies? I have a set of forsters and its not sizing the web of the case down far enough in the web area. Its leaving the brass .002 bigger than new factory Winchester brass. The die itself is .001 larger in the web than new winchester brass. After the 3rd firing on the brass im having sticky cases in the chamber unless i shoot them at 7mag velocities. so aside from getting a custom die. I was wondering what dies you all are using? My rifle is not a factory chambering.

I'm looking into maybe a custom die. New winchester brass measures .508 in front of the belt. Sticky cases measure .511 in front of the belt. My forster FL die measures .511 in front of the belt. My cut off die measures .509. After its sized it measures .510. I need a die that would take it down closer to factory brass. As .001" of room for expansion isn't enough. The only thing that was different on the reamer was the freebore I was told. The smith that chambered the rifle retired quite a few years ago. I bought the rifle used from a friend. I'll have to call some die companies.

I figured someone else had dealt with something like this before.

Not an uncommon problem with belted magnums. Search the collet die made by Larry Willis. Should solve your problem cheaper than a custom die. It did for me.

I've got a custom chamber cut with a Manson reamer... I am using of the shelf rcbs fl dies and have no issues at all with them...
my redding dies were doing the same crap you say the forster dies are doing.. they are meant to save brass life in a loose factory chamber... buy rcbs dies and you are good to go...

I measured the chamber of my extra barrel that was chambered the same time. It measures .511 in front of the belt. My cut off die which is suppose to be a rcbs SB die, sizes them down to .5105 +/- .0003. I'm going to do some calling tomorrow and see if any of these companies will be able to give me their measurement of the dies they sell and I'll order 1 if one will work.

The friend who had this gun, had a Larry willis die. But he said the collet just slipped right over and wouldn't size anything. He thought it was maybe for larger chambers or something. That was many years ago tho. Maybe they changed them? I'm going to call rcbs first and see if they can help. Might be the cheapest route

Put 5 pieces in an envelope to Lefty and see if the RCBS sizes it to what you want.

Then log on to Midway or the like and you're done....

I'm shooting winchester brass and .511 is a suck case in my chamber. My cut off die sizes it down to .5105+- and that's just to tight. I can get them to chamber but not eject after firing. I would be grateful for you to mic some cases before I buy a die.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.