7SAUM and Berger 168gr VLD Hunting Bullet... What powder?

LDHunter

I have a 7SAUM with a 22" barrel that shoots the 140gr Accubond very well but I want something that will reach way out there.

I see that Berger offers a 168gr 7mm VLD Hunting bullet that shoots well in 9 twist bores and I'm pretty sure that's what I have.

The only rub is that I've been using Varget powder for my 140's but they don't list a Varget load for a 168gr bullet.

I have looked at the Hodgdon website and they have several powders and loads but before I went out and bought powder I thought I'd ask for some guidance here.

Pet loads? Powders used?

Please help....

TIA,
Bob

i use H4831SC in my saum but am using the 180 VLD. With a 22inch barrel and a lighter bullet I would look at H4831SC and H4350. Short barrel and a "lighter" bullet your going to want a faster burn speed to get the most out of it.
here is a load i found on reloaders nest. no clue if it is a good load or if its a hot load so be leary
Unverified load 9379 in caliber 7mm SAUM

I'd pick a slow burning powder for the 7 SAUM if it were me doing the loading.

H4350, H4831sc, H1000, and maybe another similar burn rate powder would be where I'd start.

Regards
Rog

H4831 top notch accuracy for both 168 and 180's I picked up 5 lbs of Norma Magnum Rifle Powder now for better velocity to see if the same accuracy can be had. Sure meters well

I know this is an older thread... but I'm trying to work up a load for my model 7 7mm SAUM. Having a hard time finding any powder up here in canada but thats another story.. I've measured my COAL length the old fashion way.. with a cleaning rod.. Marked the rod with the bolt closed and with a 168gr VLD pushed up against the lands.. I came up with an overall length of 2.940... My question is.. The berger reloading data says a max COAL of 2.825 To get this bullet close to the lands I have to exceed there recommended length ?? I've measured and remeasured as many times as I have fingers and toes !!!

Thanks for the info... Do you know if IMR 4831 is close to H4831 for burn rate ?? I have IMR.... But can not find any Hodgdon

Their max OAL was probably a reflection of the Saami max length which is usually set up to make sure loaded cartridges will fit in the magazines and not for accuracy or safety sake.

So when you're loaded at that length are you gently kissing the lands or jammed into the lands?

When I put the bullet up against the lands I use a rod in both ends and gently feel the bullet up against the lands then take my measurement ! So I would say it's just touching.

I own a Remington 700 in 7mmSAUM and I have loaded both the 168 and 180 Bergers using IMR-7828 powder. I have shot it at 100 most of the time and my gun likes both bullets and IMR-7828 powder.

Here are a couple of pictures of targets at 100 which shows that IMR-7828 works.

NO! IMR-4831 and H4831 are different. Do not use the same data. IMR-4831 is a faster powder.

Attachments

• 7mm SAUM-1.JPG
    7mm SAUM-1.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 408
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 345
Thanks shortmagman... I have a 22" barrel on my model 7. How long is the barrel on your 700.. That load seems to work very well for you in that gun.. I wonder if my shorter barrel will like it as well !??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.