7mmWSM : Is it enough?

MAELTY

I am a greenhorn at this. Age and preference seems to be telling me to go long. I recently purchased a Winchester Coyote in 7mm WSM. I dressed it with a 6X24 target scope, had a muzzle break installed and some trigger work done. It shoots on average less than 2" @ 300 yards. Am I asking to much to think that this could be used on deer out to 800 yards? Please don't laugh! I am willing to listen.

Thanks to you 338-378. I reload most of my own ammo and am just getting started on this particular caliber. I think I can better the 2" groups @ 300 yds and am excited to be working up my first click chart in my 40 years of shooting.

338-378 knows what he's talkin about!
grin.gif

Maelty

Got a win coyote myself in 300 wsm. Had the same things done except pillar bedded to. which is theo nly thing I would caution you on if you did not do it already, is winchester's bedding stinks. That little glob of compound and that is it. you might want to bed it for real and go for it.

Sounds like you have it shooting.

Good luck

BH

Think you are right in the money for H4350 and a 180. My guess for that gun is that you might be at the top end, but each gun is different, so I would play with that combo. H4350 might be fast, but we have found it really reacts good with the WSM. Another powder is MRP, which is equivalent to RL22 without being as temperature or lot sensitive.

BH

Hornady got away from the big plastic tips cause they blew up way too easy. I have a bunch of em in 6.5mm and you need to buy a special twist(like 11:1) or they come apart 50 yds downrange.

I remember having someone say to me, "what are those little puffs of smoke about 50 yds out of your barrel?" After looking at the target I knew it was the bullets exploding. I never would have figured it could be seen but at least in that case, you could.

Bountyhunter, Do you have a good load for 180gr for the 300WSM, loaded 63gr. H4350 under 180sst in bro-inlaws browning, he got a fairly good group, good enough for the distance he shoots at. Jay
rolleyes.gif

Bountyhunter, Did you shoot that coyote before you had it pillar bedded?, If so, how were the groups compared to after bedding? Tell me what bullet and powder you'd use for elk, and what kind of groups your getting, I may get one for longrange hunting. P.S. I prefer Hodgdons' line of powders, so I'd appreciate a recommendation for their products as well. What power scope would be ideal out to 1k. Thanks, Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.