7mmRM downloaded to 7mm08 velocities?

BoilerUP

Looking to push a 140gr bullet at a pedestrian 2800fps from a 24" barrel, vs. the ~3150fps most factory 7RM hunting loads with that weight bullet seem to have.

I see no need to beat up my shoulder with magnum recoil for hunting whitetail inside 300yd...but its nice to have the ability to up-load the rifle for larger game/longer range shots if so desired.

Hodgdon shows a "minimum" load of 61.0gr H4831 providing about 2850fps with a 140gr bullet, which should be fine for my purposes...but I'm curious if anybody else has a pet load or another powder recommendation.

I'm aware of Remington's "Managed Recoil" ammo but that doesn't interest me...and Hodgdon's published reduced loads with H4895 are a bit slower than I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I have a couple of loads that may fit your needs. My Ruger 77 Mark II loves the 140 Nosler BT with either 62.0 grains of IMR-4350 or IMR-4831. At the moment I am shooting more IMR-4831 and this give me about 2900-2950 ft/sec out of my 24 inch barrel. Most of the time this load with give my under .5 inch three shot groups at 100 yards and sometimes when I am fortunate I can break .2 inches. I use RP cases and WLR primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.