7mm08 vs 6.5 creedmore

No I meant compared to the 308 as far as military use, I don't think they use anything other than the 308 exclusively, with possibly some forms of special forces using the 300 win mag, in either case of comparison between the 300 win mag or 308 for military use I still think them going to 7mm08 would be the smarter choice, could carry as many rounds as a standard 308, have near the range of the win mag, no more recoil than the 308, with probably near the same barrel life. All that aside I still don't and can't understand why you don't see more people using it for more of everything, obviously if it were good enough for David tubb competitively then I know the accuracy is there, as for recoil, the m40a5 clone I plan on shooting will be much much heavier than the 20" 5r 308 Remington im shooting now so that will only help matters as it doesn't bother me a bit to shoot 50 rounds a day through it, did it yesterday as a matter of fact, I think my 5r weighs about 7 pounds and the rifle I'm going to build should end up in the 15-16lb range. I'm sold on the caliber unless anyone can give a good reason not to go that route, everyone at my range is running either 260 Remington's or the 6.5 creedmore and have been trying to push both on me but I'm usually not one to just conform and like to do my own research first, before making a hasty decision, Ballistically I don't think I'll be at a disadvantage to either of the two or it be so slight you can't tell the difference, just have slightly better barrel life.

If you keep the barrel from getting to hot. I don't see why you can't get 3000-4000 rounds out of a 7-08. I say go with it. Like you said, if David Tubbs wins with it.....
When you say Same range of the Win mag, you mean for target shooting right?

For target shooting yes, at longer ranges depending on billet selection the 7mm08 still surpasses it but that's only AFTER roughly 1000 yards.

Here's what I got on my ballistic calculator. 1000 yards

7-08 162 Amax .625 BC @ 2700 fps.(muzzle)
30.6 MOA
1499 fps
808 ft lbs

300 RUM 215 Berger hybrid .696 BC @ 3100 fps. (muzzle)
21.2 MOA
1891 fps
1708 ft lbs.

300 Win mag 215 Berger .696 BC @3000 fps. (muzzle).
22.6 MOA
1818 fps
1577 ft lbs.
I get what your saying about his chart. But we should compare semi heavy bullets to caliber. 7-08 the 162 Amax fits this bill. The 215 Berger fits this bill for both 300 mags.
He's comparing a long range 7mm bullet to a low BC high drag bullet for the 300's.

Last edited:
Lets do similar BC's
300 win mag 200 Berger hybrid .625 BC @ 3050 fps (muzzle)
1000 yards
23.1 MOA
1741 fps
1346 ft lbs.
300 RUM 200 Berger hybrid .625 BC @ 3150fps.
1812 fps
1458 ft lbs.
With all do respect the 7-08 has alot of growing up to do to become a magnum cartridge..

Last edited:
........I believe every cartridge has its place, in fact I'm not even saying the 7mm08 is better, I just don't understand why you don't see more people utilizing the 7mm08.

The question can be asked the other direction. Why with so many comparable cartridges available would somebody pick the 7-08?

For whatever reason (marketing) I think most look at the 7-08 as a cartridge for short compact youth rifle. It doesn't have to be true, just believable.

Good, moderate, 7mm cartridges existed many years before the .308 case was available.

Marketing works is the answer to the question, of why there are so many duplicate cartridges in nearly any caliber.

Most of us could be issued purpose built rifles in an unknown cartridges/calibers, with exactly the same exterior ballistics, and our scores would be unchanged.

With the advent of the 7mm 195 Berger, a lot of folks will be chambering 7mm for a couple of years, at least until Berger makes a comparable 6.5 bullet.

lots of good comparisons and discussions but in my opinion, the 7/08 is a great cartridge in its class.

To compare it to another cartridge like a magnum is not a good comparison because they fill a totally different need/nitch. There is no free ride, because more powder and speed gets more recoil and less barrel life.

If I could only own 1 rifle it would probably be a 300 rum or one of the 338s. But for a task specific
rifle, the choice would be different in most cases because of the need and combined advantages of that cartridge in a specific use.

There will always be something more powerful or have better ballistics, But at what cost?

To answer the OPs original question, The 7/08 is a great cartridge in its class with minimum recoil
and great barrel life and is also very, very accurate. So what more could you ask for in a cartridge
of its size.

J E CUSTOM

Which was my original point and reason for bringing up the question its self. Thank you.
JE is right on every word. Your original topic was that. But you started comparing the 7-08 to the 300 magnums. That's when I offered ballistics on all cartridges mentioned. Showing it would never hang with the magnums. I dont want to upset anybody. Just providing facts for the conversation.

Which was my original point and reason for bringing up the question its self. Thank you.

You are welcome. And I really don't know why it is not used more except it is older and not trendy
like some of the newer cartridges.

I have known bench rest shooters that loved the 7/08 and the 7/08x40 but the recoil of the PPSs
was less and most of them have gone to the PPCs (Less recoil means less disturbance to the position of there rifle) and with the distance that most bench rest matches are held the 7/08s power is not needed.

The 280 Remington is a prime example of a fine cartridge that was left behind when the 7mm rem mag came along. Now the 280 is gaining a huge following because it has always been a great cartridge and people are beginning to find that out.

Just saying....

J E CUSTOM

Anyone have an idea on what the contour is on a m40a3/5 unfinished barrel is? Specifically the shank length.

..........Straight 284 Winchester as well...........

There's that mission creep you wanted to avoid in the first post.

The .284, .280, 7X57, WSM, are all fine cartridge, and the 7/08 belongs in that class.
The .284 has probably had more rifles chambered for it's offspring than the parent case itself. The .280 has been AI'd, and renamed trying to survive, most consider the 7x57 as a historical note because of how many rifles exist. The WSM-it remains to be seen how it well it will last.

Each has a fan base, all good cartridges, but none have been popular enough to dominate in the field, or at the range. If the 7/08 is your pick you've made a good choice.