7MM XLRT (Extreme Long Range Target)

I'd like to hear some numbers you're getting out of the XR. Velocities and potential barrel life, even if it is a guess. I'm pushing a 338nm now and just looking to the future.

Xdeano

Morning everyone

I have 3 guns now that are chambered in 7/338 Norma XR

They are built with a 35 degree improved design but a longer neck for the vld's.

1 gun has a 7 twist to shoot 192 grain Cutting Edge bullets. The other 2 are a 1-9 and a 1-8.5 twist.

Still working on a perfect load. But will say she will be faster than many of the bigger 7mm out there.

This reamer I have was done by James McClure. He has shot this for years at bench rest matches. But I made the throat longer for big vld's on my guns.He also chims in once in a while on this site.

The reamer I have is from Dave Kiff Pacific tool and Guage.

Good to see so many people with a love for wildcats these days. We could just buy a gun and shoot it. But then we would not reach for bigger, badder , faster rounds.

I also have had a 7mm / 338 laupa. So if my barrels get some wear in them I can always build them into one of theses round. Working on a reamer print for a 35 degree long neck or short in a Laupa case.

Thanks for the chat have a great 4th of July everyone.

Jeff

I currently have the 7xr barrel on the rifle. The 7xr has a little over 900 rds. on it. The bore scope shows about 1.750" of fire cracking. The first .750 is pretty deep. The good news is that it still shoots really well. This is the barrel that I did all the load development with. I am currently shooting RL50 with 180 JLK's. I have not lost a case as of yet so I am not pushing very hard. The load that I have settled on with RL50 pushes the 180's 3170 fps. Once the barrel will not hold 1 MOA @ 1,000 yards I will lean on it as hard as the case will allow. In a couple of weeks I am going to screw the 300xr barrel on & start experiment with 230 gr. Berger. I will be trying Ramshot Magnum, RL50, RL33, Retumbo & maybe some RL25.
Thanks for the interest in the 7xr.
I hope that you continue to have good results.
Semper Fi
Jim McClure

I currently have the 7xr barrel on the rifle. The 7xr has a little over 900 rds. on it. The bore scope shows about 1.750" of fire cracking. The first .750 is pretty deep. The good news is that it still shoots really well. This is the barrel that I did all the load development with. I am currently shooting RL50 with 180 JLK's. I have not lost a case as of yet so I am not pushing very hard. The load that I have settled on with RL50 pushes the 180's 3170 fps. Once the barrel will not hold 1 MOA @ 1,000 yards I will lean on it as hard as the case will allow. In a couple of weeks I am going to screw the 300xr barrel on & start experiment with 230 gr. Berger. I will be trying Ramshot Magnum, RL50, RL33, Retumbo & maybe some RL25.
Thanks for the interest in the 7xr.
I hope that you continue to have good results.
Semper Fi
Jim McClure

Jim,

Sounds like you have all the info I need on load developement, If you could share your loads to save me time and powder to get my wildcat a jumpstart I would appreciate it !

What is the neck length on the 7XR ? and have you noticed any improvement on throat life over the 7mm RUM ?

What I intend to do with my version is to duplicate/exceed 7RUM ballistics with a much shorter cartridge oal to run in AICS cip length mags with the heavies and hopefully have longer bbl life with a .327" length neck ,

SwampLord,
I am not ignoring you on the load data. I am actively searching for it. I thought that I knew exactly where I put it..............wrong. But I will find it & post it.

These are the loads that I used in my rifle. Please start low & work up in your rifle.
I have only used 180 gr. JLK bullets.
Federal 215M were the primers that worked best for me with all loads. Once I would get a load that shot well @ 400 yards I would load test @ 1,000 yards to see which primer provided the tightest group.
Retumbo 82.0 - 87.5 (at 87.5 grs. I was rewarded with a cratered primer)
RL50 85.0 - 90.0 grs.
H1000 81.5 - 84.0 grs.
US 869 86.0 - 89.0 grs.
N570 82.5 - 85.0 grs.
Ramshot Magnum 82.5 - 85.0 grs.

The highest velocity I achieved with the 180's was 3367 fps. The load that I settled on is 88.0 grs. RL50, Fed 215M for 3170 fps.
Semper Fi

Swamp..

Have you got any specific info on those W3 TAC-PM 195's or 208's?? What are the expected BC's on them and what twist do the Whiskey 3 guys expect is needed to turn them?

They're site just shows pre-order. No specifics (or) trial/preliminary testing results of any sort

Definitely interesting for the big 7's

Anybody else prefer the name 7mm Lucky Seven vs. the 7mm XLRT ?

This reamer will be available only to LRH members if anyone chooses to build one, so choose wisely, I have a bit of time yet to rename the reamer print before reamer production....

How about 7mm LRH ( Long Range Hunter ) ? How about it Len ? an official LRH 7mm cartridge ....

kinda like the "24 HR Campfire" boys did some years back !
I kind of like 7mm XLRT, it sounds more "aggressive" than the 7mm LS.

I doubt anybody at LRH would go for anything smaller than a .338 as their "official caliber". Then again, they might surprise me... :rolleyes:

Might **** a few folks off by saying that, but I don't really care much anymore. It's Thursday (like my Friday), and I'm awaiting 5:00 so I can hammer-on the Jack & Cokes tonight. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts