7mm WSM

Topshot

I have been looking at getting 7mm WSM made up. I would like your thoughts on the cartridge with regards to its long range performance, accuracy, your experience with it, bullets used and some of the kills you have made with it.

That is one of the best combinations that I have seen. If I could put together some thing half as good I would be happy.

I love it, and was just out shooting mine yesterday at some steel plates at 1,240 and 1,360 yards. Don't believe teh poor barrel wear comments, as I currently have 1,250+ rounds (most of it in F-Class cometition - meaning 25 rounds in about 18 minuites wit an hour then repeat) through mine and she is still a hammer.

look at these threads. Not too bad.

Vince B's 7mm WSM Record-Breaker (7 Win Short Mag)

7mm Cartridge Guide

JeffVN

Look at the balistics,they are pretty impressive.This is why I am having one built,I think the 7mmWSM is one of the most overlooked cartridges out there.Alot of guy's are getting +3100fps from a 162gr amax with a BC of .625,they will outperform alot of the big 30's with alot less powder.

In my opinon this is a great caliber.I have used it to hunt with the last 2 years.I have taken animals ranging from varmints to elk.In the last 2 years i have taken 4 elk,2 with the 175 Matchking, and 2 with 180 Berger, at ranges of 400-600 yards, they have all been good clean kills.Its a great round.

Is this cartridge a dead duck? I can not find any factory rifles other than Kimber that list it as a chamber in 2009.

Plenty of 270wsm and 300wsm listings but no 7wsm's.

Better stock up on brass!!!!

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the link's

There might be a few of last years rifles still on the shelves in some gun shops but Howa do not list them for 2009.

The world record from 1 mile was shot using a 7mmWSM,by a guy named Tim Lambert.He shot a 10.94" group,using a Savage action!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.