7mm WSM recoil

swpc629

I have a Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM. It has a bad barrel flip when fired. Does anyone have any suggestions for taming this problem. I know a muzzle break will help some, but I care for all the noise from a muzzle break. I am already getting hard of hearing.

I have a Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM. It has a bad barrel flip when fired. Does anyone have any suggestions for taming this problem. I know a muzzle break will help some, but I care for all the noise from a muzzle break. I am already getting hard of hearing.

Stock fit can make a big difference, a guy needs hearing protection regardless of muzzle brake or not so IMO might as well enjoy the benefits of one.

hate to be a smart *** but trade it for a 243. Its a magnum and that means it shoots a bullet at a bit higher velocity and its going to kick a bit. Put some time in with it to get used to it and ill be youll be fine. As magnums go thats a pretty mild recoiling round unless you have it in a 5 lb gun.

swpc629

Somtimes bedding and getting the rifle in the stock right helps with the way the gun tracks as it comes back. In some of the factory guns the barrel is running downhill in the stock and either left or right and that seems to make the barrel jump up and maybe to the left or right rather than tracking straight back. A good brake with some top ports helps but my personal 7MM WSM
hunting rig has not got a brake, I prefer it that way with cases that hold under 65 garins of powder.

Steve

As others mention recoil pad to changing stock to add brake plus good hearing protection.

what kind of rest you shooting off?

hate to be a smart *** but trade it for a 243. Its a magnum and that means it shoots a bullet at a bit higher velocity and its going to kick a bit. Put some time in with it to get used to it and ill be youll be fine. As magnums go thats a pretty mild recoiling round unless you have it in a 5 lb gun.

The round is fine. I have a 7mm STW that doesn't have as much recoil as this 7mm WSM. Both are Winchester Model 70s.

then id look at the differnces in the guns. Has to be something as the stw burns about 20 grains more powder and simple physics will tell you it should recoil much heavier. I know my stw without the break recoils substantialy more then my 7 rem mag and my 7 rem mag is at least a lb lighter.

The rest is a Caldwell Lead Sled.

Are you shooting it without weight or have you tried adding more. I got one of my rifles off the rest has little more muzzle jump than I'm use too but I'm OK with recoil doesn't hurt my groups. On some of my varmint rifles used muzzle brakes to see the hits. If you think it's recoil that's causing problem cheap way to handle that is with Past Pad
PAST Super Mag Plus Recoil Pad Shield Ambidextrous

I have 100 lbs of lead on the rest. The rest doesn't move just the gun. I am looking at trying another stock that will maybe absorb more of the recoil.

I have 100 lbs of lead on the rest. The rest doesn't move just the gun. I am looking at trying another stock that will maybe absorb more of the recoil.

the lead sleds shouldn't stop the rifle in its tracks. That will break the stock eventually. Put 25# on it and let it skid a bit when you fire it. Better yet, throw away the lead sled, put a good recoil pad on the rifle, and get some good sand bags.

I to had the same problem with my winchester model 70 7wsm. Aftera few weeks of picking my gunsmiths brain we came to the conclusion of add 1 1/2 lbs of weight in the forend of the stock. Tamed the gun down a-lot.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts