7mm WSM Powder Recomendation

tm7554

Gents,

Just started with a new model 70. I want to shoot Horandy 162 SSTs. Can you guys give me a powder recommendation? I've experimented a little with RL-17 and I really don't have enough time behind the gun to form a great opinion. I've worked up to 60 grains and i'm seeing the string average around 3100. Accuracy seems fine for the first 3 shots. The groups did open up after that but i suspect the sporter barrel on this extreme weather is the reason. After doing some research it seems a lot of folks think that RL17 isn't the best powder for this cartridge. I'm looking for a few recommendations.

Gents,

Just started with a new model 70. I want to shoot Horandy 162 SSTs. Can you guys give me a powder recommendation? I've experimented a little with RL-17 and I really don't have enough time behind the gun to form a great opinion. I've worked up to 60 grains and i'm seeing the string average around 3100. Accuracy seems fine for the first 3 shots. The groups did open up after that but i suspect the sporter barrel on this extreme weather is the reason. After doing some research it seems a lot of folks think that RL17 isn't the best powder for this cartridge. I'm looking for a few recommendations.

try MagPro
gary

For the Heavies (180 Berger) I have run everything from RL-25, Retumbo, H1000, and H4831. For the lighter pills, I have seen folks use H4831SC, RL-22, RL-19.

JeffVN

I have a build finishing up in a week or so and will start out with H1000 and Retumbo with 168 grain Bergers.

RL 17 and 19 with Win 760 are good powders for the 300 WSM but my 7mm WSM my powder is Win 780 or H4831sc with 160 to 175 gr

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.