7mm WSM Help

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Bigeclipse, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I have a 7mm WSM A-bolt. I have only tried 7mm WSM winchester super X's which I am only getting maybe 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Can anyone recommend a different brand/load? I will be hunting white tail deer only. Last years hunt went fine, but I was only shooting out to 200 yards. I do not reload so working my own load is out of the question....for now.

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If the rifle is new, It will need at least 50 or 60 rounds shot through it to get it broke in.

Use the super x to do this. Shoot 3 to 5 rounds and clean with a bronze brush and repeat
    the process.(Factory chrome Molly barrels need more break-in than custom barrels because
    they are not lapped.

You will know when you are close to getting it broke in when it cleans with only 3 or 4 patches.

Once it is well broke in It will probably shoot much better with the Super x ammo. If not ,try
    the Winchester supreme Ballistic silver tips, They have a premium bullet (Nosler).

Federal and Corbon are the only other ammo making the 7 wsm that I know of ,but I have not
    tried ether of them.

You also may try (After break-in) torquing the action to 35 inch/pounds and shooting, then increase
    the torque to 40 inch/pounds if it is a walnut stock don't exceed 45 inch/pounds. If it has a bedding
    block don't exceed 65 inch/pounds.

If this doesn't improve it, bedding is the next step.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

3. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

I love the gun and It is definietly good out to 200 yards which is typically what I hunt anyways, but I would love more confidence in the rifle out to 350-400 yards. I think it may have about 40-50 rounds through it so far. I will keep shooting it. As far as trying other rounds for it....I was totally surprised how my savage was terrible with certain rounds but amazing with the remmington core-loc so I was hoping it would be the same with this A-BOLT.