7mm wsm brass makers?

I left a couple of e-mails with the Winchester support staff (since I could not find a phone number). I asked when they were going to make another batch of 7mm WSM brass - since they are the only manufacturer. I got no reply to either e-mail.

So... I took out a second mortgage on the house and bought 100 pieces of Norma 300 WSM brass. However, I recently acquired a 300 WSM so I may or may not neck it down. I also recently dropped off the reamer and gages to my gunsmith for a 28 Nosler which I'll have in about a month so the 7mm WSM may sit for a while.

I do have 100 pieces of 7mm WSM brass and it is nice to have it properly head stamped. I've also got 300 pieces of 270 WSM brass so I have options but Winchester is still ******* me off. I wouldn't mind so much that they just can't keep up with production demands BUT... ignoring customer inquiries - not good at all.

I actually received an email from winchester stating that this is a "seasonal" caliber and there is no planned production date anytime soon.

It can be neck down then you got to fireform it another step. What season is the season for 7mm wsm brass anyway?

Just neck down some quality 300 WSM brass and you are good to go. No "false shoulder" is created by simply necking the .308 neck down to .284.
This advice sounds unsafe to me. I would not do it.

The case may not headspace properly on the small shoulder left by resizing the 300 WSM case in a 7 WSM die. An incorrect headspace of up to 0.10" could result, which could lead to case rupture. For example, I know for a fact that resized 300 WSM cases do not headspace correctly in my 7 WSM chamber.

I resize, fire form at low pressure, and then check headspace with a Wilson headspace gage. Only then do I load the case to full pressure.

This advice sounds unsafe to me. I would not do it.

The case may not headspace properly on the small shoulder left by resizing the 300 WSM case in a 7 WSM die. An incorrect headspace of up to 0.10" could result, which could lead to case rupture. For example, I know for a fact that resized 300 WSM cases do not headspace correctly in my 7 WSM chamber.

I resize, fire form at low pressure, and then check headspace with a Wilson headspace gage. Only then do I load the case to full pressure.

I believe Varmint Hunter is talking about re-chambering to 7-300wsm as stated in a previous post which would give the chamber the same shoulder as a 300wsm correct? I'm not trying to stir anything up I have just been considering doing this and trying to learn more about it

I believe Varmint Hunter is talking about re-chambering to 7-300wsm as stated in a previous post which would give the chamber the same shoulder as a 300wsm correct? I'm not trying to stir anything up I have just been considering doing this and trying to learn more about it

That is correct - my post recommended rechambering to 7-300WSM which has been used quite successfully in 1,000yd BR. Case capacity would be slightly less than a standard 7WSM case.

A fellow in my club has been shooting one for quite some time and easily converts Norma 300WSM brass by necking down. The 7-300WSM idea is not new and I'll be rechambering my own custom 7WSM soon. I only considered this option because there has never been quality brass available in 7WSM and virtually no brass at all for nearly 2 years.

Lapua adds new brass to their line-up every so often. I'm surprised that haven't introduced 7WSM brass as a new option. Happy to see that they have just started to produce brass in 7mm-08.

Here's a photo I took when I was making some 7mmWSM brass from some 300wsm Norma brass.

If you back out your die a bit it will leave a small shoulder that is enough to firmly hold the brass in the chaber for a full power fireform.

After fireforming I would anneal and FL size like normal.

Simple and effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.