7mm wsm 24" 1:9 twist barrel with Berger 168-180s

Chandalar

I'm in the process of picking up a 7mm wsm, 24" barrel with a 1:9 twist. I am curious, and would like some advise on the Berger bullets 168-180 stabilizing in that barrel. There web site informs the twist rate that I have should be correct. I'd appreciate any feed back. Thanks

You will have no trouble with the 168grain bullets. My 280 with a 1:9 twist shoots the 168s just great. Although Berger says 1:9 will stabilize the 180, I have heard that 1:8.5 might be better.

Sorry I can't find the post where the 1:8.5 twist was mentioned. I know I read it recently. It would seem to follow though. A buddy of mine has had difficulty getting the 180s to shoot in his 1:9 twist 7wsm. Many others have reported having trouble with the 180s. This may be the rate of twist or it could be that VLDs are just tough to tune.

I have a 7mm WSM with a 1:9 twist mcgowen 27" barrel and it loves the 180's very first loads through it shot 1" and a little fine tuning got them down below 1/2" at a hundred flyin at 3000 fps so I don't think the twist will ever be your problem. Good luck!!!

I have a 1 8.6 twist in a Brux and a 9 1/4 too.

The 180's fly better in the 9 1/4 for me.

"Diggin' up bones....I'm diggin' up bones. Exhuming things that better left alone. I'm resurrecting memories of THREAD that's dead and gone. Yeah tonight I'm sittin' alone diggin' up bones..."

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.