7mm whetherby transform to ????

Like I stated earlier since I already have a 25-06 I want to move up a good ways. Would the magazine be long enough for 7STW, 300 WM or 300 RUM or the action support the same calibers in short cartridges to ensure the mag would hold them ? Thank's Brad

If it shoots well, why not leave it 7mm Rem mag? Seems silly to change anything just for the sake of change. Even if you figure a new barrel is the best route, again why not consider the 7mag?

Its long enough for all of those loaded to factory length. The 7stw is a waste over a 7mm rm, I don't personally think the extra 175-250fps gain given equal barrel lengths is worth the extra wear on the barrel, but everyone has an opinion. If you want something for long range that will fit decent in the modified mag, the 300wm and 300wby are your best candidates. With a 26" barrel for example the 300wby will do 3050+ fps with a 208amax or 210berger, look at the down range energy of that compared to any 7stw load in a 26" barrel. If you want a 338cal, I suggest the 338x375 ruger aka 338 Demon 2.5" case almost 100grn h20 cap, can push 300grn hybrids to 2700 fps and still easily fit in the magazine, basically duplicates a long throated 338rum but in a case that's .260" shorter. There is also the 7x375ruger 7mm Demon that will slightly outrun the stw with what should be better barrel life and .350" shorter.

You can get a detachable clip for the Vanguard:

Detachable Box Magazine Kit | Accessories | Products | Weatherby.com

And, a Timney trigger would get you a 3 position safety:

Timney Rifle Trigger Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Mossberg 1500 S&W

Those two adaptations get you exactly what you want. Sell the original parts and get some of your investment back, and have the rifle you want for around $200 or less.

I'd agree that if you want a larger caliber it's far cheaper to buy a different rifle. The Vanguard comes in 300 Win, 300 Weatherby and 338 Win if you wanted to keep that platform. It could be virtually a zero cost effort if you sell the 7mm that you just obtained. Is it a synthetic, sporter or deluxe version?

It appears to be a black synthetic stock but much more rigid than the one that came with a 700adl I have, the barrel seems to be a sporter with a rounded muzzel and is not recessed. It came in a hard case with redfield scope mounts and rings on it as the previos owner removed the scope. This rifle is in like new condition. The only reason I was thinking of changing much on it is because i already have the 25-06 and don't feel the 7mm rem mag is enough of a step up to what I'd really like to have and would just be one of those inbetween guns that are a little much for my coyote and deer and a little small for Elk and ect.. at range. Brad

Brad,

Sporter is the wood stock name (in Weatherby language) without the contrasting color grip and fore end wood. The Deluxe has the contrasting wood. So, you have a Vanguard Synthetic.

The 7mm Rem Mag is about halfway between the 25-06 and the 30 calibers you mention. It is an exceptionally common caliber for deer, elk and everything in between. If you think you will regularly shoot 600+ then move on up. If not, I would not worry about the 7mm. Just my thoughts.

FYI looks like the drop magazine does not fit the 7mm Rem Mag - sorry about that. Still an excellent rifle to start with if you wish. It's your call.

Measure the magazine in your current 7mm, then call Weatherby and see if they can give you the length of the 300 WM magazine. The parts dept can probably tell you if it is the same part number; if so, then the length is the same.

Again, cheaper to sell this one and buy what you want than to rebarrel this one.

It appears to be a black synthetic stock but much more rigid than the one that came with a 700adl I have, the barrel seems to be a sporter with a rounded muzzel and is not recessed. It came in a hard case with redfield scope mounts and rings on it as the previos owner removed the scope. This rifle is in like new condition. The only reason I was thinking of changing much on it is because i already have the 25-06 and don't feel the 7mm rem mag is enough of a step up to what I'd really like to have and would just be one of those inbetween guns that are a little much for my coyote and deer and a little small for Elk and ect.. at range. Brad
The 7mm Rem mag is a 20 foot ladder step up above the 25-06.

Personally I'd encourage you to look at selling what you have and upgrading to the accumark in 300wm or 300W if you want to take an even bigger step.

Keep in mind that there is no species of game in North America you cannot kill reliably with the venerable 300wm out to 1,000yds.

Unless you simply have a case of "biggermagnumitis" and/or plan on shooting in excess of 1,000yds you don't have a need for anything bigger than the two 300's.

I have complete confidence in the 7mm mag for anything out 750yds. I have complete confidence in my 7mm STW's, and 300wm's out to 1,000yds.

The only reason I even own a 300 Rum is because myself and three very close friends are planning on some major big game hunts over the next decade where 1,000ds plus is a real possibility on the largest and most dangerous game NA has to offer from big bears to Moose, and Elk.

For a guy just getting started in the LR game there simply isn't any real reason to go larger than the 300mags, and they are a damned site cheaper to shoot while you are learning the ropes than the big .338's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.