7mm what is the longest bullet that can fit in mag?

Bryntowin

What size of bullet in 7mm remington mag, will fit in a standard bdl gun? I'm looking for bottom metal for my gun and was wondering if people bought DM for extra room? For example can 180 vld Bergers bullets fit in the magazine or would you have to single shoot em. Right now I am planning on using 172 grain amax bullets I know they will fit but I might want to go heavier in the future just wondering if it's worth the extra money for a detachable magazine.

Thanks

It all depends on your seating depth. Find out where your rifle likes the bullet seated and then go from there. That's the easiest way to figure out what will work and what won't. However, if you get a extended mag box, you have a much larger area to seat the bullet and therefore very minimal seating restrictions.

Like the previous poster states... Don't put the cart before the horse. Build your loads and get the jump and then and only then see if you need an extended mag. Wyatt makes boxes (magazines) in extended lengths btw.

In a Remington 700 long action, which has a 3.65-3.70" mag box, if you're loading for a SAAMI-throated 7mm RemMag, you will most-likely hit the lands, before you hit the end of the mag box.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.