7mm vs 300 wm.

Long Time Long Ranger,
Your Data is flawed. With a 26" Barrel the 7mm rem mag can easily push a 180 berger vld to 2950. I have done so in a remington sendero using retumbo. The 300 WM with the 210 and 26" can get 3000-3050 probably. Discredit all you want to, but realistically, there is not an animal on the planet that will tell you. Hey, your bullet was .024 smaller in diameter, I'm not going to die. This is nonsense. I have seen game shot with a 7mm rem, 300 win, and a 338 win mag. If you can seriously tell me you can tell which animal was shot with what by looking at wound channels i'm going to say your full of ****. Just saying, this is a rediculus comparison. If you really want to get technical, Berger is producing the 195 vld for the 7mm. Which, with a 7mm rem ultra, vs a 300 rem ultra, with a bc approaching .8. It will leave the 300 in the dust. With a 7 rem mag with an 8" twist, and pushing 2850. That will be a long range king. Say what you want. But ballistic superiority lies with the .284 caliber. I picked a 7mm rem mag for less recoil and same performance. And it delivered. :cool:

Well I was reading this & figured I would add my OPINION! I am just getting into the long range shooting game & I must say it's a absolute blast! (no pun intended) So for what it's worth I will say this, my 7mm rem mag will be more than enough gun to hunt most big game in North America up to 1000 yards. Now with me being new to the long range scene I am nowhere close to ready to attempt a shot at a deer or elk at 1000 yards. I would never attempt it because I respect the animal & the fair game of hunting responsibility to much. Now I did buy a 7mm rem mag for the following reasons: First of all I did my homework & asked several long range shooters I know, and everyone of them told me that the 7mm rem mag was more than enough gun WITH the rite bullet to take big game at 1000 yards, however they also did say the 300 win mag would deliver more WITH the rite bullet. My 7mm rem mag with a 180 grain berger is pushing 2800 fps + & at 1000 yards is delivering over 1000 ft lbs of energy. So the 7mm rem mag vs 300 win mag in my opinion the 300 win mag will deliver more, but the 7mm rem mag will do the trick, this of course means the guy or lady behind the trigger can deliver. I'm not there yet but I will not stop until I am! Also I would like to say I love this forum, for the most part I have found that most people on this forum are really trying to help out their fellow hunter/shooter. Thanks & shoot em straight! stay safe!!!!

I have seen game shot with a 7mm rem, 300 win, and a 338 win mag. If you can seriously tell me you can tell which animal was shot with what by looking at wound channels i'm going to say your full of ****.

Whoa buddy, just relax.

Also... I wouldn't challenge LTLR to the "I've seen X amount of animals shot" game.

It's a fact. If you really want to see a difference you need to step up to a 340 weatherby. Then yes, you will see a difference. But between those three cartridges, you will not see a difference at all.

For the record, I wasn't saying I've seen more game killed than long time long ranger. I was stating what I have seen. Not anybody else, nor trying to say I am a know it all. I was simply saying in Animals shot through the vitals with all three of those calibers they do the same thing, they die very quickly, regardless of which one it was.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.