7mm Ultra Mag or have you seen any similar ballistic performance?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by superlite17, Oct 16, 2006.

1. superlite17

superlite17 Well-Known Member

Hi all! I have been looking at the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag for some time now... and man does it seem hot. I originally liked the STW and watched it, but this ultra performs a lot better and seems less volatile.
    Anyway, here is where i offend a lot of people, but while i love Rem calibres I cannot stand their firearms. I have had three and NONE of them shot groups for me no matter what load i tried! Plus they will not jump on board with adjustable trigger pull or set triggers.
    So, have any of you found the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag produced by any other rifle makers??? IF SO PLEASE HELP!

Thanks - Rod

2. POP

POP Well-Known Member

SAKO ROCKS!

3. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

Have someone build one and don't look back! With a custom build, you get what you want exactly. The extra cost is well worth it.

Dave

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

What BD said in caps.

Will worth the extra dollars for the craftmanship. By the time the barrel is broke in you're ready for prime time.

Otherwise, you spend the $ + time hunting for the correct powder, bullet, primer, seating depth etc. I'm getting to old for that.......

5. Roll-Yur-Own

Roll-Yur-Own Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure the 7mm RUM is better than the STW. It may seem so when you look at numbers, but it is a thin case and very innefficient.

6. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Better is very subjective. If all you want is the max velocity, go with the 7 RUM or a necked down 30-378 or the Lazzeroni. I agree that the RUM's are VERY ineffecient, but velocity is velocity, if thats what you want, you will get more with the RUM and other wildcats than the STW.

7. ceg1963

ceg1963 Well-Known Member

Rifle: Custom built is the way to go. SS, M700, Shilen #5 contour barrel finished at 28". Bedded into a Classic McMillan Stock. Jewell trigger set at 1 lb. Zeiss Glass on top.

Load: 140 grs Nosler Accubonds, on top of 103 grs of H BMG50, GM 215 primers, Remington cases.

Results: 3600 FPS into .03 - .17 inches at 100 yards, .76" at 400 yards, and 1.7" at 600 yards.

With a fluted barrel and break, the rifle weighs a mere 9 lbs fully rigged. It generates minimal recoil as well.

Too sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Troy

Troy Well-Known Member

Are saying that your rifle will consistently shoot the groups you mentioned or were those the best you ever shot? How many shots per group?