7mm STW Deer load

jwcrabb

Hey Guys, My brother has a 7mm STW that he wants to use mainly for a long range deer gun. He may also use it for Elk, but for now we need a good load for deer. Would like to stay with 140/150's if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks...

My pet load out of my STW has taken everything from coyotes to Elk.
71.5 gr IMR 4350, 140 Gr Accubonds, CCI mag primers. Avg about 3350 out of a 26" tube.

Those Accubonds are bada$$ out of that rifle!!

I have a STW that likes 82gr. of IMR 7828 pushing a 120gr Nosler Bal. Tip I think it is around 3400 or 3500fps not 100% on that but shoots great Longest kill for deer is around 350 and a elk at 100. Hope you the best luck. But 7828 always seem to shoot well in the STW's

Thanks guys, either of the loads should work great. His gun is a Rem. 700 Sendero with 26" tube so he should be able to match your ballistics pretty easy. Shiredude, how did the 140 Accubond work on the Elk?

Just like it was supposed to. 380 yds broadside shot, recovered bullet on offside shoulder. Elk went about 40 yds. Massive internal damage.

honestly I don't think you can beat a 160 grain accubond in an stw whether it be deer or elk! I shot my BIG mulie buck this year at 200 yrds with an accubond and it dropped him dead in his tracks. no bullet to recover but excellent mortallity and virtually no meat loss! I really feel that the 160 gr bullet is the PERFECT weight for this caliber.

Personally, I have always been partial to the Hornady 162gr A-Max bullet for longrange deer with the 7STW.

The A-Max is very accurate, has a high BC, and expands readily at almost any range. I have shot several deer and antelope at extended range and have been very impressed with the results.

This past season I decided to take high shoulder shots with the A-Max. I shot a few deer between 300 - 500yds. Each deer hit on the shoulder was DRT. Broad side lung shots are equally lethal but the deer may travel 10-25 yds before piling up. Small deer will just drop.

I would not use the A-Max on Elk with so many more suitable bullets available. The 160gr Accubond would probably be one of my first choices. In the big cases like the STW you can get heavy bullets up to a good velocity, so why wouldn't you use them? I like the lighter bullets (140gr-150gr) in the 7mm-08 and similar cartridges.

Just my 2 cents.

I also agree on the 160 gr AB.
My 280 AI shoots the 160 gr AB at an avg MV of 3019 fps and I use it for WT deer. As expected, I get plenty of expansion and complete penetration through the shoulders.

JD338

Last edited:
160 Gr. Barnes in 7STW

I have an Weatherby Accumark in the 7STW. I have taken caribou and deer with this cartridge. I shoot the 160 barnes Triple Shock and can kill anything in North America with them. I shoot 78/79 Grains of IMR7828 (temp and powder lot pending) Federal Brass, Federal 215 GM primers and 3.665 overall length. It runs 3300+FPS. THIS IS MAX LOAD IN MY RIFLE! The construction of these bullets allows for complete pass thru's at least at under 300 yards as this is the longest kill yet with this rifle and without alot of meat damage just purely lethal.

I've played with the 160 Accubonds and they shot well w/Retumbo 80.2 grains but the 160 TX are by far alot more accurate in my rifle. I have found nothing that can compare with the accuracy of these Barnes in this rifle, Noslers 150, 160's, Sierra's 168, 175 MK's, nor the Hornandy 162 A-max just won't run at the speed of the Barnes nor anywheres near the accuracy either, in my rifle.

Wish the 162 A-max did or that 175 Sierra MK!

No animals required any tracking. The caribou I had expected to take at 600+ but they were walking towards shoreline, old age set in, smarter to wait until animal is closer to boat. Shot rocks at 1000yards+ in the Artic winds instead!

I shoot the Baltip 140's (3300) in my Rem 7mag out of an A-Bolt using...IMR7828.
Will try the 140 TSX this week in this rifle.

I agree with the case capacity of the STW it is wiser to shoot the heavier bullets, BUT it is awesome to get the velocities achievable with the lighter ones too!

you will hold more energy and velocity to a distance with the higher B.C. 160gr bullets as well. So you might not have as much muzzle velocity but it will be faster farther! Just play with a ballistics program for some interesting proof! Thats how I made my choice. good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.