7mm stw and shepherd how they fit

elkhuntinguru

I've been shooting a 7mm rem. mag for a few years but i just purchased a sako 7mm stw and a shepherd scope i dont have the scope mounted yet or the round im gonna shoot figured out for sure but leaning on a 150 gr. jacketed silvertip with rx25 powder 82.0 max load book says 3304 mv with 24" barrel my gun has 26" barrel im new to reloading but have been shooting deer and elk long range with my rem. for years out to 600yrds will i be happy with this combo or do any of you gurus have a better setup you want to share my shepherd is a 6x16x40 V1A also will mv be greater or less with 2" barrel difference thanks in advance for your replies.

Why not try the 150gr nosler ballistic tip, with RL-22 this is a great setup for my Goodlin custom in 7STW.

You should pick up 100 to 150 fps. with the extra 2" barrel length, but the longer you make the barrel usually the less gain you get per inch if that makes sense to you. also, with the longer barrel, you may want to try some of the other slow powders out there. I don't personally have any experience with this round, but I have had good luck with retumbo. You want the slower powders with the longer barrels and heavy bullets so that the powder is still exerting force on the bullet when it leaves the barrel. Of course, not to slow that it's still burning when the bullet is long gone! Hope this helps.

2 more inches of barrel will get you around 50-60 fps. i'd say 100-150 is a little generous.

how about the 160 accubond? great, easy to load for bullet.

Definately not a fan of the Shepherd scope - way to crowded for my taste. I prefer working up loads, finding your drops out to whatever range you're planning on shooting at, and then having Premier Reticle or T.K. Lee & Co. install dots accordingly.

It's just my opinion, and I could be wrong (Nah) but a rangefinder is going to be alot more accurate for ranging than trying to fill a circle with an elk or a deer.

just me again

hey i see ive had a few suggestions for different bullets but no real history behind them my reload book is kinda limited its the lyman 48th edition so if you suggest laods please include some info about powders, mv and pressure. would love to try some tried and true work ups keep the info coming and thanks again by the way i bought the sheperd for the 1000yrd bdc I use a laser rangefinder to determine hold over.

stw combo

I have a Rifles Inc in the 7 STW with a Leupold vari-x 3. I sent it off to Leupold and had the adjustable turret put on it. I would'nt trade this combo for anything. It only costs around $185 to have this done. You will be amazed how that gun will shoot with this set up.
Roy cornelison

I have a Rifles Inc in the 7 STW with a Leupold vari-x 3. I sent it off to Leupold and had the adjustable turret put on it. I would'nt trade this combo for anything. It only costs around $185 to have this done. You will be amazed how that gun will shoot with this set up.
Roy cornelison
Did you have to give them your load info before they added the turret?

I have a sako stw as well, you might try the 140 gr. Accubonds w/ 71.5 gr IMR 4350, it gives me about 3400 fps.

As for the shephard scope, I dont much care for them either, too much stuff in there to look at. My STW has a leupy 4.5 X 14 X 50 LR.

seeing that you did so well with your 7mag,your jump up to the sako stw''s a great choice. my 75ss/syth. likes 160 ab yeah its shoots the 140 at high speed but they fragment to scrap. for elk i'd go with a partition 150 at the lightest,but i prefer 160's weight all around don't forget barnes bullets they work great. never burned any re-25,had good luck with re-22 and h-1000,people talk up imr 7828 but its so so in my sako.rem brass fed-215 mag or match primer and work up your loads with the ladder test. your scope will work fine,when the stw was still a wild-cat i shot nosler 160 partitions into 1 moa easy at 1000 yds, witha rechambered stock 7mag 700 rifle, my smith said that rem barrel was the straightest rem . barr he'd spun between centers. so load some up and use what ya got.:D regards jjmp

leupold turret

You'll need the load and the fps. This is the best combo I've come up with. I shot my bull at 531 yds, Finished my Dad's at 466 and my buck was 430. The new Leica range finder also works great. This takes all the guess work out of it.
Roy Cornelison

leupold turret

You can call Leupold and they will walk you through it. I looked up the number it is 503-526-1400 or 503 -646-9171. It's been flawless for me and my buddy.
Roy Cornelison

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.