7mm STW advantage over 7mm UM

Fuzzyfoot

Hi all,I have been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my 300WM ,I'm just tired of getting abused every time I pull the trigger and would like something with a little less kick but yet I still want a cartridge that will give me long range capability.Looking at the reloading data the 7UM would probably have alot more kick than my 300 so was considering the STW.Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge or perhaps suggest a nother option?

hello, my dad has a 7mm RUM, the gun is awesome! with a little trigger work and load development, it shoots under an inch all day. the gun he has is a synthetic stocked remington so it lets ya know when ya squueze the trigger. it uses 86.5 grains of powder with 140 accubonds and shoots well and fast!

The 7 STW and The 7 RUM are very close in case capacity, with a slight edge to the RUM. Also the RUM doesn't have a belt. If you are looking for something that will kick less than your 300 win, look somewhere else. I would suggest a 280AI or 7 wsm, or just put a good muzzle brake on your .300 (but then you don't get to buy a new gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

You may wish to consider a Holland QD brake for the 300. Will save you bunches of money. Will get way way less recoil. But on the other hand, you'll want to wear ear protection at "all" times even when hunting. I find that to be not much of a trade off. I use electronic ear muffs.

Just a tho't.....

I have a synthetic stocked stw that weighs about 8.5 pounds with a 6.5x20 loopy, a brake and a decellerator pad take the recoil down to about like a 6mm rem. I'm sure a brake and a good pad on your 300 wm would make it more than tolerable!
RR

I have a 7MM Weatherby (Rem 700 Classic) and it has low recoil, great accuracy, and very adequate velocity.

Myself I wonder at what point is velocity created for velocity's sake. If the rifle is accurate and velocity makes the bullet work, that's the life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've just started shooting rifles (after 30+ years of pistols), with a Savage in 300 WSM. It was bopping me pretty good with the 180g factory loads I was using to get used to it - bad enough that I was developing a flinch. I ordered up a slip-on Limbsaver (Sims) pad from Midway, and it really made quite a difference. Have shot 30+ rnds of stout reloads off the bench a couple of times with it in place, and no pain at all. Not the prettiest piece of kit, but seems to do the job. Doesn't seem to move my eye back far enough to mess up the scope's eye relief.

I shoot a remington Sendero in 7mm STW and Ill tell you what. this round is amazing, Usually shoot 120 or 140 gr sst, Very little recoil, since the sendero is a little on the heavy side you usually can see your bullet hit through the scope, I have a Leupold 6.5 to 20 on it and this round is amazing, with little recoil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As a long time owner of a a STW7 The only real answer is heavy barrels and brakes.

Foot pounds = foot pounds. I shoot 175s out of my 7mm and 200-240 grains out of my 30-378 my 458's I have up to 510 grain bullets.

Both of those type 7mm's can take down big Elk

[ QUOTE ]
getting rid of my 300WM ,I'm just tired of getting abused every time I pull the trigger

[/ QUOTE ]

What's all the fuss about kick. I'm a kick sissy. After shooting my 375 Kirby/Lilja/RUM at the range I grabbed my old trusty a-bolt 270 WSM. I quickly acquired magnum eye - that gun kicked 4x harder than my 375 RUM sporting a Holland QD brake.

The next thing I noticed is I couldn't shoot the thing nearly as well as I could before Kirby sent me three RUMS ( 300, 338 & 375). They all have his deluxe trigger jobs - so going back to a factory trigger is impossible.

The little a-bolt was boxed up and sent to Kirby. Now the trigger is perfect and it doesn't kick.

I recommend you find a competent smith, have him put a good tube on 7mm RUM, trigger job and a good brake. Anything less is a paperweight as far as serious long range shooting is concerned.

A 7mm mag will do what you are asking. With a good bc bullet you can take elk out to 1000 yards with it. What kind of 300 mag do you have? Have you ever thought of changing recoil pads or getting a different stock? Do not waste your time with the RUM a good STW will get about the same velocitys as the RUM with about 10 grains less powder. No a 7mm STW will not kick as much as a 300win even with the same bullet weight. I have both and they weigh the same. Even when using 200gr wildcats in the STW and 200gr Accubonds in the 300 the STW does kick a little less.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts