7mm stw ackley improved??

dodgefreak8

Hey everyone I am putting together a Ruger no.1 and plan to re-barrel with a Kreiger barrel and I was wondering. Would there be a benefit to improving this caliber? Increased brass life(since brass is getting so hard to find) would be a huge plus for me. Also it would be nice to get some increased velocity with less pressure if thats possible. Last question is will doing this affect the accuracy of this particular round ?? thanks

I would think by improving this round, you would start to see some significant pressure increases before seeing much of a noticable difference in velocity. If you plan on using the heavier bullets, I'm sure it would be even worse.
How much more do you want anyway? My STW is pushing 140's over 3300 fps.

Improving this round would not gain you anything other then a hughe headache and wasted money. I for one am all infavor of Improved designs but there are some that are just not worth the trouble. you can already pus 140s to at least 3400fps and i have gotten 150's to 3300fps what more do you want from a 7mm

I've got a couple of these over-bore rascals, 7STW, .300RUM and others and they usually respond as advertised velocity-wise. I have no trouble gettin' 3400FPS with a 139 gr. Hornady. At this speed, all bullets arrive at 200 yards into a tiny 0.660" group and just over 1.25" at 300. I cannot think of any reason anyone could desire more. Of course, DF8, (sir), it IS your $$$$$ and we are only here once, so have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Tbone

One way to improve on the 7 STW is to go to the 7mm RUM
with a 12% increse in energy over the STW.

I started shooting a 7 STW when there was no factory brass
and you had to use 8mm rem brass to load for it.

Once A Square started producing ammo it was a little better but
thier ammo was a little expensive.

When the 8mm rem ( A great elk cartrige by the way )all but died
factory brass for the STW was available.

Over the years it has dried up to the point that it is difficult to find.

However with the new RUM series of cartriges brass should be available
for some time.

With the 7mm RUM you can use 7mm,300 amd 375RUM brass to reload
with only some neck turning on the bigger cases. ( 338 RUM can't be
used because they are shorter ).

I love my 7 STW but the 7mm RUM can top it in velocity by 200ft/sec
if thats what your in to and with 160gr or 168gr it really shines.

Something to think about
J E CUSTOM

thanks for the replys everyone. To clear a few things up I am far from dissappointed with my stw but I am always tinkering with stuff so, I am pushing 160 gr noslers 3200fps with a factory ruger barrel so I am not really looking for more speed BUT cbrass life is the problem. stw brass is getting harder to find so I would like to extens that if possible. The main reason I am asking is I have seen a few for sale. I am tinkering with the idea of just saying screw it and having fiftydriver chamber it in a 7mm allen mag :) That sounds like a kick *** round and I think if I tamed it down with a little less powder I could accomplish both my goals. more speed longer brass life

I just stumbled across this thread, and was wondering if anyone since this was posted has had anymore input or test data as to whether or not create a so-called 7mmSTW AI?

I have thought about it for years, and the main reason was that it would be something different, and with a rounded neck like a Weatherby it would help improve case-life, and possibly increase ballistics, and possibly accuracy, even though my STW shoots 1 ragged hole.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I have been curious about this for a long time now, and figured I'd see if there was anymore input.

Thanks.

There has been a an AI STW for years basically. The 7mm-300 Wby mag. All in all I was told there was about a 2gr difference between the two rounds that didnt amount to squat of a difference. The whole reason there is a STW is Simpson wanted to offer up the same performance but with a much cheaper brass alternative.

Everyone keeps saying STW brass is hard to find. Google is your friend, It is readily available.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts