7mm saum

I have a Model 700 Remington in 7mm SAUM. I have hunted deer and elk with this gun.The only game I have taken is a nine 8 point deer in Nebraska a couple of years ago.

I have a number of favorite loads. I shot the deer with a 140 Accubond using RL-19 powder, WLRM primer in RP cases. I used the Nosler #6 Manual for the data. I loaded 160 TSX bullets and IMR-7828 powder, WLRM primers,and RP cases, for the elk hunt even though I never got the opportunity to fire at an elk.

Just yesterday I shot some 168 Berger's at targets using IMR-7828.

i have only tried one bullet with three different powder charges and got lucky and found one that shoots excellent. 139 gr. hornady interlock, h1000, cci mag primer.

My Rem model 7 now has about 45 shots through it. I can load the lightest load in the Nosler #6 manual and still get pressure signs ....... tight bolt and nice shinny ejector mark. Haven't figured out a solution for this yet. Am working on it. I have had a H S precision stock glass bedded with a decelerator pad, barrell floated and jewell trigger put on it. Still have hopes. It will shoot under 1" at 100 yds without any trouble. Haven't worked with it enough to get a load developed for it yet to see what it will really do. I like the feel of it and I think it is a very neat cartridge and caliber..... just got to find a sloution for the pressure problem.

Last edited:
My Model 700 had some of the same problems. I would start working up a load and before I reached the published max. I would get the shinny extractor mark on the case head. I never figured out the problem but sometime later my extractor started to fail. It would not extract the fired cases. I took my gun to a local gunsmith and had him replace the extractor. Once this was done I have gotten no shinny marks on the cases. I think now that my extractor was not installed correctly. You may have the same problem. I would have a "smith" check it out.

Thanks for yur reply. I think I have a different problem though because I am also having a very sticky bolt along with the extractor mark. The sticky bolt also develops at a lower powder weight that the shinny extractor mark.

I had Jim See build my custom 7SAUM last summer and the wife and I love it. We used 168 gr Bergers with RL17 last year and plan on using the 180's this year. Due to our work schedules, we were only able to hunt 2 days last year. Here's the links to our results.gun)

DAY 1 HUNTING

DAY 2 HUNTING

The way it looks, we will have more time to hunt this year.

Once I have to re-barrel it, I might go to the 6.5 SAUM and set it up for the wife. That means I'll have to build something bigger for me. :rolleyes:

I also have a Model 7 and my best load is a 140 TSX with 64.0 gr. of RL- 19 a Federal GM215M primer and Rem. cases . It is a top end load but I have no preasure signs at all. I am getting 1.5 in. at 200 yards. Good luckgun)

jarheadrich, welcome, glad to have you here. lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.