7mm saum reloading queries

lurcher

I am looking at starting out in reloading for the 7mm saum I recently watched two reloading video's Darrel Holland's reloading for the long range shooter and Richard Franklin's Precision reloading. Both these guys use an arbor press and Wilson seating dies. I like the idea of using a small portable arbor press. Unfortunately Wilson's do not make a 7mm saum seating die. They will supply a blank and you can have a gun smith cut a chamber in it. I am currently using a factory remington barrel but will eventually shift to a custom barrel in this calibre. Has anyone tried this are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

The other thing that intrigued me about Richard Franklins video was his attitude to case neck chamfering. He chamfers the outside but only polishes the case lip. He is very averse to chamfering the insides of case necks. What are peoples thoughts on chamfering the insides of cases?. He is also very anti any die with an expander ball, arguing that this messes with the inside of the neck and is tough on brass, shortening its life.

He uses the wilson neck sizing dies. It looked like a good idea in that with a few hand tools you could do some basic brass prep pretty much anywhere, without the need for a press. Again these are not available for the 7mm saum but they do make a 300 saum. Given that all the case dimensions between the 7mm saum and the 300 saum are the same except for the neck diameter could I use a bushing in this die of the appropriate diameter and expect this to work successfully as a 7mm saum neck sizing die, or am I missing something?

Another option is to use a redding S-type neck sizing die/bushes and toss the ball expander. I did some digging on this and it seems that some people have had concentricity and neck tension issues with this approach

Yet another approach would be to use a lee collet die, these are not made in 7mm saum, I would have to get a custom die made and you need to send them a couple of spent cells. As I am intending to fit a custom barrel at some point, this seems a bit pointless, I'd prefer a factory set up.

Anyhow would be interested to here any ideas on necksizing/loading 7mm saum

I have kept my loading and brass work as simple as I can and still achieve good results. I decided to go with the Forster full length sizing die, the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die, and a Rock Chucker press. I don't know if your process will result in better accuracy, but it seems mine is easier. Good Luck. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.