7mm RUM vs. 300 RUM and (PICS)....

Hi all,

I have been debating this with a buddy of mine- which rifle-cartridge would be best for long range (max. 600 yards)deer, sheep and pronghorn.

It would have to be a hunting weight rifle of no more than 9.75 pounds (rifle, scope, bases, sling, ammo). Sub-MOA accuracy, a given. Max. 28.5" barrel and be SS Synthetic.

It would have to be the least recoiling of either 300RUM or variants (30-378 Wea.,Tomahawk, wolf, warbird, etc.) or 7mm RUM or variants (dakota, 7.21 Firebird etc.). Though recoil was agreed would not be an issue, it was agred that the least recoiling should prove most accurate.

Can be a realistic, proven wildcat, if logical or a plain jain 300 or 7mm commercial cartridge.

It would have to shoot hunting weight bullets of 140-168gr (7mm) or 180-200r. (.300) with high B.C. for bullet weight- mainly to buck wind and not to compensate for range estimation.However, it would have to have flatest possible trajectory (time of flight) out to 600 yards.

Someone on another forum mentioned a 7mm\338RUM because it is slightly shorter than the 7mm or 300 RUM, thus allowing longer bullets to be chambered in the magazine. Pics from other site below:

100-0003_IMG.jpg
100-0014_IMG.jpg

What would you pick? Further, would there be a noticeable accuracy difference if said rifle is built using a Model 70 action vs a 700?

[ 08-17-2004: Message edited by: CanadianLefty ]
If 600yds, even 800 is your max that's a whole lot more powder, muzzle blast, and recoil than you need to put up with.

I would go with the 7mm STW or 28 Nosler for the 7mm option and a .300wm or 30 Nosler for the .30 cal.

It will also save you a ton of money on brass and powder or factory ammo vs going with the RUM or even Lapua options.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.