7mm RUM or 338 Lapua Mag for Long Range Pdoggin

Please show me where Sierra states the velocity requirements for expansion of a SMK? This is a loaded question but a fair one.

Yea that's fine sir. It was on one of there web site. I had a lot of prob trying to find it. All I did was look up the bc of there bullets tryin to find as much information as I could. They have there vld bullets witch really are not for hunting but they had the highest bc so I used that info. I had to use the burger vld for the 7mm because it seams to be better than the GK. All the info is there you just have to look for it. I found some info on nosler custom ammo to that a bullet has to travel so fast for it to work properly. But I have to admit a 300 grain bullet wouldn't have to expand much to knock me on my back side. Don't think I would feel a thing. But try and find out as much as you can on bullet expanshion. " sorry for the spelling " I'm still trying to find more info my self. The 338 is a sweet round. I really like the armlites AR30. There bad ***.

Ok----now we know that Sierra does no testing for expansion on the SMK line that will ever be published. I know several and shoot with some of the folks there. The military has gone to great lengths to ensure that the SMK is viewed as a non expansion projectile. The SMK is a sole source procurement that is a major part of sales for Sierra. That being said it does not mean that it will not and in fact the 338 SMK's has the same jacket thickness as the GK 338.

"MEMORANDUM FOR COMMANDER, UNITED STATES ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
SUBJECT: Sniper Use of Open-Tip Ammunition
DATE:
23 September 1985
1. Summary.

This memorandum considers whether United States Army Snipers may employ match-grade, "open-tip" ammunition in combat or other special missions. It concludes that such ammunition does not violate the law of war obligations of the United States , and may be employed in peacetime or wartime missions of the Army.
2. Background.

Sierra MatchKing 168-grain match grade boat tail For more than a decade two bullets have been available for use by the United States Army Marksmanship Unit in match competition in its 7.62mm rifles. The M118 is a 173-grain match grade full metal jacket boat tail, ogival spitzer tip bullet, while the M852 is the Sierra MatchKing 168-grain match grade boat tail, ogival spitzer tip bullet with an open tip. Although the accuracy of the M118 has been reasonably good, though at times erratic, independent bullet comparisons by the Army, Marine Corps, and National Guard marksmanship training units have established unequivocally the superior accuracy of the M852. Army tests noted a 36% improvement in accuracy with the M852 at 300 meters, and a 32% improvement at 600 yds; Marine Corps figures were twenty-eight percent accuracy improvement at 300 m, and 20% at 600yds. The National Guard determined that the M852 provided better bullet groups at 200 and 600 yards under all conditions than did the M118. [FNa1]

The 168-grain MatchKing was designed in the late 1950's for 300 m. shooting in international rifle matches. In its competitive debut, it was used by the 1st place winner at the 1959 Pan American Games. In the same caliber but in its various bullet lengths, the MatchKing has set a number of international records. To a range of 600 m., the superiority of the accuracy of the M852 cannot be matched, and led to the decision by U.S. military marksmanship training units to use the M852 in competition.

A 1980 opinion of this office concluded that use of the M852 in match competition would not violate law of war obligations of the United States. (citation omitted) Further tests and actual competition over the past decade have confirmed the superiority of the M852 over the M118 and other match grade bullets. For example, at the national matches held at Camp Perry, OH in 1983, a new Wimbledon record of 2--015 X's was set using the 168-gr. MatchKing. This level of performance lead to the question of whether the M852 could be used by military snipers in peacetime or wartime missions of the Army.

During the period in which this review was conducted, the 180-gr. MatchKing (for which there is no military designation) also was tested with a view to increased accuracy over the M852 at very long ranges. Because two bullet weights were under consideration, the term "MatchKing" will be used hereinafter to refer to the generic design rather than to a bullet of a particular weight. The fundamental question to be addressed by this review is whether an open-tip bullet of MatchKing design may be used in combat.
3. Legal Factors.

The principal provision relating to the legality of weapons is contained in Art. 23e of the Annex to Hague Convention IV Respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land of
18 October 1907, which prohibits the employment of "arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury." In some law of war treatises, the term "unnecessary suffering" is used rather than "superfluous injury." The terms are regarded as synonymous. To emphasize this, Art. 35, para. 2 of the 1977 Protocol I Additional to the Geneva Conventions of August 12, 1949 , states in part that "It is prohibited to employ weapons [and] projectiles . . . of a nature to cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering." Although the U.S. has made the formal decision that for military, political, and humanitarian reasons it will not become a party to Protocol I, U.S. officials have taken the position that the language of Art. 35(2) of Protocol I as quoted is a codification of customary international law, and therefore binding upon all nations. The terms "unnecessary suffering" and "superfluous injury" have not been formally defined within international law. In determining whether a weapon or projectile causes unnecessary suffering, a balancing test is applied between the force dictated by military necessity to achieve a legitimate objective vis-à-vis suffering that may be considered superfluous to achievement of that intended objective. The test is not easily applied. For this reason, the degree of "superfluous" injury must be clearly disproportionate to the intended objectives for development and employment of the weapon, that is, it must outweigh substantially the military necessity for the weapon system or projectile. The fact that a weapon causes suffering does not lead to the conclusion that the weapon causes unnecessary suffering, or is illegal per se. Military necessity dictates that weapons of war lead to death, injury, and destruction; the act of combatants killing or wounding enemy combatants in combat is a legitimate act under the law of war. In this regard, there is an incongruity in the law of war in that while it is legally permissible to kill an enemy combatant, incapacitation must not result inevitably in unnecessary suffering. What is prohibited is the design (or modification) and employment of a weapon for the purpose of increasing or causing suffering beyond that required by military necessity. In conducting the balancing test necessary to determine a weapon's legality, the effects of a weapon cannot be viewed in isolation. They must be examined against comparable weapons in use on the modern battlefield, and the military necessity for the weapon or projectile under consideration. In addition to the basic prohibition on unnecessary suffering contained in Art. 23e of the 1907 Hague IV, one other treaty is germane to this review. The Hague Declaration Concerning Expanding Bullets of 29 July 1899 prohibits the use in international armed conflict:". . . of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core or is pierced with incisions."
The U.S. is not a party to this treaty, but U.S. officials over the years have taken the position that the armed forces of the U.S. will adhere to its terms to the extent that its application is consistent with the object and purpose of Art. 23e of the Annex to the Hague Convention IV, quoted above. It is within the context of these two treaties that questions regarding the legality of the employment of the MatchKing "open tip" bullet must be considered.

4. Bullet Description.

As previously described, the MatchKing is a boat tail, ogival spitzer tip bullet with open tip. The "open tip" is a shallow aperture (approximately the diameter of the wire in a standard size straight pin or paper clip) in the nose of the bullet. While sometimes described as a "hollow point," this is a mischaracterization in law of war terms. Generally a "hollow point" bullet is thought of in terms of its ability to expand on impact with soft tissue. Physical examination of the MatchKing "open tip" bullet reveals that its opening is extremely small in comparison to the aperture in comparable hollow point hunting bullets; for example, the 165-grain GameKing is a true hollow point boat tail bullet with an aperture substantially greater than the MatchKing, and skiving (serrations cut into the jacket) to insure expansion. In the MatchKing, the open tip is closed as much as possible to provide better aerodynamics, and contains no skiving. The lead core of the MatchKing bullet is entirely covered by the bullet jacket. While the GameKing bullet is designed to bring the ballistic advantages of a match bullet to long range hunting, the manufacturer expressly recommends against the use of the MatchKing for hunting game of any size because it does not have the expansion characteristics of a hunting bullet.

The purpose of the small, shallow aperture in the MatchKing is to provide a bullet design offering maximum accuracy at very long ranges, rolling the jacket of the bullet around its core from base to tip; standard military bullets and other match bullets roll the jacket around its core from tip to base, leaving an exposed lead core at its base. Design purpose of the MatchKing was not to produce a bullet that would expand or flatten easily on impact with the human body, or otherwise cause wounds greater than those caused by standard military small arms ammunition.

5. MatchKing performance.

Other than its superior long range marksmanship capabilities, the MatchKing was examined with regard to its performance on impact with the human body or in artificial material that approximates human soft tissue. It was determined that the bullet will break up or fragment in some cases at some point following entry into soft tissue. Whether fragmentation occurs will depend upon a myriad of variables, to include range to the target, velocity at the time of impact, degree of yaw of the bullet at the point of impact, or the distance traveled point-first within the body before yaw is induced. The MatchKing has not been designed to yaw intentionally or to break up on impact. These characteristics are common to all military rifle bullets. There was little discernible difference in bullet fragmentation between the MatchKing and other military small arms bullets, with some military ball ammunition of foreign manufacture tending to fragment sooner in human tissue or to a greater degree, resulting in wounds that would be more severe than those caused by the MatchKing. [FNaaa1]

Because of concern over the potential mischaracterization of the M852 as a "hollow point" bullet that might violate the purpose and intent of the 1899 Hague Declaration Concerning Expanding Bullets, some M852 MatchKing bullets were modified to close the aperture. The "closed tip" MatchKing did not measure up to the accuracy of the "open tip" MatchKing. Other match grade bullets were tested. While some could approach the accuracy standards of the MatchKing in some lots, quality control was uneven, leading to erratic results. No other match grade bullet consistently could meet the accuracy of the open-tip bullet.

6. Law of War Application.

From both a legal and medical standpoint, the lethality or incapacitation effects of a particular small-caliber projectile must be measured against comparable projectiles in service. In the military small arms field, "small caliber" generally includes all rifle projectiles up to and including .60 caliber (15mm). For the purposes of this review, however, comparison will be limited to small-caliber ammunition in the range of 5.45mm to 7.62mm, that is, that currently in use in assault or sniper rifles by the military services of most nations.

Wound ballistic research over the past fifteen years has determined that the prohibition contained in the 1899 Hague Declaration is of minimal to no value, inasmuch as virtually all jacketed military employed since 1899 with pointed ogival spitzer tip shape have a tendency to fragment on impact with soft tissue, harder organs, bone or the clothing and/or equipment worn by the individual soldier.

The pointed ogival spitzer tip, shared by all modern military bullets, reflects the balancing by nations of the criteria of military necessity and unnecessary suffering: its streamlined shape decreases air drag, allowing the bullet to retain velocity better for improved long-range performance; a modern military 7.62mm bullet will lose only about one-third of its muzzle velocity over 500 yards, while the same weight bullet with a round-nose shape will lose more than one-half of its velocity over the same distance. Yet the pointed ogival spitzer tip shape also leads to greater bullet breakup, and potentially greater injury to the soldier by such a bullet vis-à-vis a round-nose full-metal jacketed bullet. (See Dr. M. L. Fackler, "Wounding Patterns for Military Rifle Bullets," International Defense Review, January 1989, pp. 56-64, at 63.)

Weighing the increased performance of the pointed ogival spitzer tip bullet against the increased injury its breakup may bring, the nations of the world-- through almost a century of practice--have concluded that the need for the former outweighs concern for the latter, and does not result in unnecessary suffering as prohibited by the 1899 Hague Declaration Concerning Expanding Bullets or article 23e of the 1907 Hague Convention IV. The 1899 Hague Declaration Concerning Expanding Bullets remains valid for _expression of the principle that a nation may not employ a bullet that expands easily on impact for the purpose of unnecessarily aggravating the wound inflicted upon an enemy soldier. Such a bullet also would be prohibited by article 23e of the 1907 Hague IV, however. Another concept fundamental to the law of war is the principle of discrimination, that is, utilization of means or methods that distinguish to the extent possible legitimate targets, such as enemy soldiers, from noncombatants, whether enemy wounded and sick, medical personnel, or innocent civilians. The highly trained military sniper with his special rifle and match grade ammunition epitomizes the principle of discrimination. In combat, most targets are covered or obscured, move unpredictably, and as a consequence are exposed to hostile fire for limited periods of time. When coupled with the level of marksmanship training provided the average soldier and the stress of combat, a soldier's aiming errors are large and hit probability is correspondingly low. While the M16A2 rifle currently used by the United States Army and Marine Corps is capable of acceptable accuracy out to six hundred meters, the probability of an average soldier hitting an enemy soldier at three hundred meters is ten percent.

Statistics from past wars suggest that this probability figure may be optimistic. In Would War II, the United States and its allies expended 25,000 rounds of ammunition to kill a single enemy soldier. In the Korean War, the ammunition expenditure had increased four-fold to 100,000 rounds per soldier; in the Vietnam War, that figure had doubled to 200,000 rounds of ammunition for the death of a single enemy soldier. The risk to noncombatants is apparent.

In contrast, United States Army and Marine Corps snipers in the Vietnam War expended 1.3 rounds of ammunition for each claimed and verified kill, at an average range of six hundred yards, or almost twice the three hundred meters cited above for combat engagements by the average soldier. Some verified kills were at ranges in excess of 1000 yards. This represents discrimination and military efficiency of the highest order, as well as minimization of risk to noncombatants. Utilization of a bullet that increases accuracy, such as the MatchKing, would further diminish the risk to noncombatants.

7. Conclusion.

The purpose of the 7.62mm "open-tip" MatchKing bullet is to provide maximum accuracy at very long range. Like most 5.56mm and 7.62mm military ball bullets, it may fragment upon striking its target, although the probability of its fragmentation is not as great as some military ball bullets currently in use by some nations. Bullet fragmentation is not a design characteristic, however, nor a purpose for use of the MatchKing by United State Army snipers. Wounds caused by MatchKing ammunition are similar to those caused by a fully jacketed military ball bullet, which is legal under the law of war, when compared at the same ranges and under the same conditions. The military necessity for its use-- its ability to offer maximum accuracy at very long ranges--is complemented by the high degree of discriminate fire it offers in the hands of a trained sniper. It not only meets, but exceeds, the law of war obligations of the United States for use in combat. This opinion has been coordinated with the Department of State, Army General Counsel, and the Offices of the Judge Advocates General of the Navy and Air Force, who concur with its contents and conclusions.

An opinion that reaches the same conclusion has been issued simultaneously for the Navy and Marine Corps by The Judge Advocate General of the Navy. Authored by W.
Hays Parks,
Colonel, USMC,
Chief of the JAG's International Law Branch"

Last edited:
Hey go to a web site called hunting guied. If that don't work then call the company of the bullet you are shooting. They will be more and happy to help. They helped me. It seams that all bullets no mater what callaber needs to travel at the least 1600 fps to exspand. If that don't help I'll keep trying. I don't mind. The bullet manufactor has all the info. That's where I get my info on this subjust. So please tell them they don't know how to do there job. Or what they are talkin about. I'm just tryin to help people on here the best I can. I'm not here to get on anyones bad side. The facts I give are strait from the manufacture or my own test results. Here is an example. A full mettle jasket bullet is not for hunting because it does not expand. It was made to go strait through the target just to wound it. So if a bullet doesn't expand it has less energy or nockdown power.

Hey I just got done reading your book. It seams like the 338 is a great 600 meter gun. And yes at closer range it does hit harder than a 7mm. Because the bullet does exspand and it is still traveling over there 1600 to 1700 feet per second. That is how fast a bullet has to travel to exspand. But there is more dense bullets out there I'm sure that have to travel faster than that to exspand. I don't understand the people you shoot with from serria are tellin you one thing and me something else about bullet exspantion. But I will let this trend go. I was just trying to help the genttleman make a dession on what calaber I would chose.

I know most of the Ballisticans --- who specfically told you this? What you are posting is just simply not true -- sorry. Matter of fact tell me who and I have some home phone numbers and will be glad to post the response if I can get them. Fair offer.

All bullets need at least 1600fps to expand? C'mon seriously?

So what your saying basiclly and correct me if I'm readin this wrong but.....

A heavy jacket seirra matchking and a thin jacket Amax need the same velocity to expand? which is 1600FPS?

I guess based on this I should just stop testing bullets ans save my money...they all do the same thing...

I seriously not jerkin on your gerkin dude but you need to do a little more studyin on ballistics and bullet performance. Whomever is feeding you this info somewhere along the line there is a disconnect and it might just be right at the source of the information giver.

Now for the Lazerroni...Yep they are fast and every gun has a purpose which is different for every person but usin one of these for a prarie dog gun? Other then looking at the speed did you look at anything else? This is exactly what I mean when I say some people get a little nuts with their advice here. Just the brass alone is like buyin gold. Recomending this for a prairie dog hunt is one of the craziest things I ever heard...I would tell him to build a 7 allen mag for a prarie dog gun before I would the Lazerroni(which for the record I'm not). I would even go out on a limb and say the creator of the 7 Allen mag wouldn't even reccomend this.

Now for the 850" at 1500yards...I'm not wasting my time to run ballistics on these calibers to verify you but do the math. There is many scopes that have this adjustment and if this guy is already talkin about building a gun to do this then I'm sure their will not be a world class Tasco or Simmons scope ridin on his firepole when he attempts this. My own scope has enough to get out to almost 1800 on a gun thats is not near as capable as what he is talkin about building.

I'm not wastin anymore time on this argument...I just looked and I spent ten minutes typing this and I'm never gonna get those ten minutes of precious life back...Damnit I hate it when I do that!:D

I know some have had great success with the 7 Rum. I personally found it difficult to load for, and a call to Sierra eased my grief as they do not support this cartridge for the same reasons. Brass life is horrible, and with Remington brass I had alot of rejects prior to loading.
If I were trying to spot my own shots at extreme range I would want a .338 to kick up the most dust.
Sounds like a real fun project.
Regards, Josh

I'm no where near the knowledge of some of the folks that have replied to this post here but, I do know Sierra even if the did know is not going to go pubic with smk expanding at such and such fps. To move on, any thought worth given to 338 Edge or 338AX-just my 2 cents.

I love the ballistic advice that comes out sometimes on this site...LMAO:D

You probably missed this part: "The 7mm also has less recoil witch means better accuracy"

So what you need to do is get one of those "recoil/accuracy" witches to make your rifle shoot better! :D :rolleyes:

Quick allert the press. Tell all gun manufactures to stop what there doing. Muzzle brakes and recoil compensators are devices that are fitted to the muzzle of a firearm to redirect gases with the effect of countering both recoil of the gun and UNWANTED rising of the barrel. This is supposed to make for a more accurate rifle. But they are wrong. Your factory rifle will out shoot any $10k custom rifle on the market. Who cares about recoil. I can get 1" groop at 200yrds with my Remington without the muzzle break. But with it I can get .25". But I'll take it off cause less recoil doesn't make a more accurate rifle. Tell all the millitary they are wrong for useing muzzle brakes and compensators on all most all there fire arms, such as there rifles, tanks, battle ships, jets, and rocket launchers. Recoil doesn't effect the accuracy of any of these fire arms. The millitary just putes them on for looks. I love my country and believe in the US Soliders that defend me and my family every day. If they created something that reduces recoil because it makes it more accurate than I believe them.

Quick allert the press. Tell all gun manufactures to stop what there doing. Muzzle brakes and recoil compensators are devices that are fitted to the muzzle of a firearm to redirect gases with the effect of countering both recoil of the gun and UNWANTED rising of the barrel. This is supposed to make for a more accurate rifle. But they are wrong. Your factory rifle will out shoot any $10k custom rifle on the market. Who cares about recoil. I can get 1" groop at 200yrds with my Remington without the muzzle break. But with it I can get .25". But I'll take it off cause less recoil doesn't make a more accurate rifle. Tell all the millitary they are wrong for useing muzzle brakes and compensators on all most all there fire arms, such as there rifles, tanks, battle ships, jets, and rocket launchers. Recoil doesn't effect the accuracy of any of these fire arms. The millitary just putes them on for looks. I love my country and believe in the US Soliders that defend me and my family every day. If they created something that reduces recoil because it makes it more accurate than I believe them.

Are you sure you're not confusing tuners with muzzle brakes? I have a .338 with a B.O.S.S. tuner / muzzle break and the TUNER definately makes it more accurate. I also have a .22 target pistol that has a muzzle break on it which reduces recoil / muzzle lift so I can get back on target quicker during timed and rapid fire segments of bullseye shooting. It does NOT make it more accurate.
Muzzle breaks are also used on over and under shotguns for skeet shooting and trap doubles shooting, not to increase accuracy, but to reduce muzzle lift so the shooter can get back on track quicker for the second target. So, muzzle breaks can reduce recoil and muzzle lift, but not neccessarily accuracy. In fact, if you allow the muzzle break to get dirty with powder fouling, lead or copper deposits, it will definately decrease the accuracy. lightbulb

You probably missed this part: "The 7mm also has less recoil witch means better accuracy"

So what you need to do is get one of those "recoil/accuracy" witches to make your rifle shoot better! :D :rolleyes:

No I didn't miss it...This is the exact thread that tought me the leeson of just tryin to shut my mouth....Sometimes you just can't prove a point. You travelin down this same path now...lmao :D

And for the record I do in fact agree with you. It does not make the gun itself more accurate. It makes the gun easier to shoot/handle which makes the shooter more accurate.

I don't hunt wioth a rocket launcher or battleship so truthfully I can care less what they have.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.