7mm RUM & Barnes TSX's

mrultramag

7mm RUM & Barnes TSX\'s

I've been thinking of working up some loads with the TSX. I don't have a barnes manual right now. Maybe I should get one. Does barnes list data for the 7 RUM? Was interested in loads that I could work up to in the TSX from 120 gr up to the 160 gr. I am interested in getting some good velocity along with accuracy. Right now I shoot a load w/150 partition that goes 3450 fps with 3/4in groups. I would be interested in beating that with the 150 Tsx bt. Do I need that much bullet weight for hunting with the Barnes? That's why I would consider something lighter. I have heard that you can drop down quite a bit and still get the penetration and weight retention on game(deer,elk). Anyone have any loads they would share? Thanks in advance!

Re: 7mm RUM & Barnes TSX\'s

I don't have any loads for you, but I generally drop one bullet weight when shooting Barnes to compensate for the OAL of the bullet.

i.e. 25-06 I shoot 87 and 100 gr Pb core bullets and 75 and 85 gr Barnes

300 SAUM I shoot 150 gr ABs and currently shoot 140 gr Barnes X. They have been d/c'd so I will have to try something else or just drop Barnes completely (more likely).

270 Win 130 and 140 gr Pb; 120 Barnes

For elk with the horsepower you have in the 7RUM, you can shoot the 140 TSX for deer and 150 TSX for elk. Personally for elk, I would try some of either 160 AccuBonds or Richard's 160-175 gr Bonded bullets.

Thanks! I have some 160 accubonds laying around. I'll have to start working on a load. I shoot the 150 partition at about 3450 and get good accuracy .75 @100, but they don't print so great out past 300. I can vouch for their penetration. 2 yrs ago, decent 5 pt bull, quartering away, bullet entered back towards the last of the ribs and was found just underneath the skin of the opposite shoulder. shot at 125 yds. it went throught alot of elk.
I was hoping to wring a little more velocity and long range accuracy out of the gun since I use it for mainly open country hunting. The accubond should fly better even though they'll start out a little slower. are richards bullets called wildcat bullets? I'll find his email address here. I've seen it on this site. Still interested in the Tsx however. Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[email protected]

Thats Richard's email. Good luck with your loads. Email Barnes, and they will send you some reloading data. The 150 TSX is a midseason entry, and will not be found in any manuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.