7MM RUM 1st Long range kill

sako5

I spent the last week in the mountains here in NZ hunting deer.Id shot 2 deer a couple of weeks previously but at 320 and 334 yds not at any real distance!
4 of us got away for the week and hunted some great long range country!
kaimanawasnov2007029.jpg

The trick was to get up high early which meant 4:3oam starts and some big climbs to start glassing!
kaimanawasnov2007050.jpg

The only deer i shot for the trip was spotted at 995yds feeding high on a tussock face.With the tricky wind a decision was made to get a bit closer.We narrowed the gap to 695yds and got set up for a shot.
kaimanawasnov2007015.jpg

The adjustments were made and i settled in behind the rifle.With the video camera rolling i was keen not to screw it up.My previous best was 630yds.I waited until the stag turned side on and squeezed off.Steve called a hit and said the stag was down!
We made our way up!Unfortunatly he required a finishing shot.Lesson learnt-dont leave the wind meter at home!
Copyofkaimanawasnov2007016.jpg

I looked back down to the knob id shot from and felt pretty satisfied!
kaimanawasnov2007018.jpg

Im using 160gn accubonds mostly with 95 gns of AR2225 powder.I look forward to pushing that bit further next time!
kaimanawasnov2007011.jpg

Good stuff Nathan! How did Steve get on with his Sendero?
Have you tried the 175gn SMK? Its the best longrange bullet in the 7mm RUM HSP's I've been playing with. That long freebore they all have is annoying, hard getting Bergers to work. The SMK is much more forgiving, shoots great jumping 100 thou. Try 101 gns of 2218 or H50BMG behind the SMK loaded to an overall length of 3.980". Shoots 1/2 moa in the 2 HSP's I've tried it in.

Gudday Greg

Yep steve got a couple with the total yardage being about 220yds!Good fun on some targets at around 750-800 on the last morning though!The sendero's are impressive-both of them!
No chance to play around with other load combos yet but those 175smk's sound good!
Thanks for the tip!

That last photo is a ripper Nathan. It sure was a fun trip, It would have been good to stretch the legs on the Sendero a bit but thats hunting and I was certainly not going to turn down that tasty venison.

I'll add a few photos to this thread if you don't mind Nathan

PB250001Small.jpg

First deer of the trip at 7pm, a massive 187 yards!

PB250005Small.jpg

Later that evening, this Sika Hind was feeding on the opposite face at around 950 yards. No shot taken due to the excessive wind.

PB270031Small.jpg

There are a herd of wild horses in the area but are protected so I took a heap of photos and some video.

PB280038Small.jpg

A yearling Sika hind taken at 40 yards while I was sneaking around some bushy clearings. Not really Sendero country so I took the brake off to enable me to shoot without earmuffs

Thanks for posting boys.

Sako5 can we have a run down on equipement used especially the rifle. Is that a Bell and Carlson stock I see in the pic? Would also be interested in scope used also.

Thanks again

Thanks for posting boys.

Sako5 can we have a run down on equipement used especially the rifle. Is that a Bell and Carlson stock I see in the pic? Would also be interested in scope used also.

Thanks again

Hi Jon2

The rifles a HS Precision 2000 series!Nigtforce base with burris sig Z rings.The scopes a Nightforce NXS 5.5X 22 X 56 !
Ive got a threaded HS muzzle brake on the end of it!
kaimanawasnov2007025.jpg

Sako5

Thanks for the info and that is a great looking rig. Seems you have a similar set up to myself. I really enjoy getting normal sporter weight rifles shooting at long range. Really good stuff

Thanks again for posting

Sako5,

Congratulations on your successful hunt, great shooting.
Thanks for the good read and pictures.
I really like that 160 gr AB, I use it in my 280AI.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.