7mm RM/140 AB with H4350/H4831SC/H1000/Retumbo?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by txsendero, Jan 18, 2010.

1. txsendero

txsendero Well-Known Member

Which powder should be the best to start with in 26" barrel 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds out of these that I have on hand- H4350, H4831SC, H1000, Retumbo. Primarily for whitetail hunting out to 500-600 yards. By best I mean tightest and most consistent groups with top velocity. I also have some Fed215 and WLRM primers to use.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. moombaskier

moombaskier Well-Known Member

I would lean towards the h4831sc with the 140grs. I have had best results with H1000 and 160-168gr. bullets. Don't you allready shoot the 168 Bergers with H1000? I think 4350 is a bit fast for 7mag.

3. txsendero

I had been shooting the 168 VLD's in this gun, but am now going to shoot those in my 7 WSM for longer range, and the 140's for whitetail, hogs, coyotes, etc. at shorter ranges in the 7RM.

4. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i have used h-4831( long cut) with good results. the wlrm shot a better group than the 215. what about going to a 140vld??

5. preventec47

preventec47 Member

you need to go to Hogdon website and study the loads for your caliber
    and bullet weight instead of asking for recomendations.
    Get a chart of burn rates for different mfg powders and then
    you will know what powders to use for your bullet weight.
    I prefer the Alliant RL powders and Accurate powders for
    my 7mm Rem Mag but I only shoot real light bullets now
    that I have seen the light. Pro hunter 120 gr and Barnes
    110 gr in 7mm Rem Mag for big deer and big hogs.

6. txsendero

Thanks roninflag, I may try the Bergers, I think they are even a little less in price than the accubonds, but they both have almost identical BC, one is .485 and one is .486.
    And for preventec47, I did take a look at the Hodgdon site, I am just looking for others knowledge and experiences with these bullets & powders. Besides, it's more fun to talk about it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. Shortmagman

Shortmagman Well-Known Member

My 7mm Rem mag shoots 140 grain Nosler bullet into .5 inch groups using H4350 powder. However, this powder is a little too fast to get the best velocity, so for more velocity and good accuracy I use H1000 or RL-22. I agree that H1000 works great with 160 grain bullets but my gun will also shoot 140 grain bullets using H1000. I have used both 215 and WLRM primers and could tell little difference.

8. SakoShooterSD

SakoShooterSD Member

+1 on visiting Hodgdon.com.
    If I had done that before, instead of just reading the Barnes Reloading Manual (and getting input from the Sierra manual) I would have chosen a different powder.

I am shooting 150 gr TTSX bullets, and chose Retumbo.
    GREAT accuracy (0.35" groups), and really good velocity (2964 fps) . . . but evidently not enough pressure to seal the case well enough -- I'm getting burnt powder residue on the outside of my case shoulders.
    (maybe an issue with cold-worked brass, but this is only the 3rd reloading?)

H1000 would probably have been a better choice.
    A little higher pressure for the starting loads, and no compressed loads at max charge.
    I guess having compressed loads is not really a big issue, but I'd rather have a load density in the mid 90's, all else being equal.
    (BTW, thank you, Hodgdon website for listing pressures, though . . .couldn't you have done them all in the same units? CUP? Really?
    So now I have to hunt around for how to convert . . . and, yes, it can be done.)

The IMR 4831 also works very well in my gun (and might be a better choice if I were shooting lighter bullets), but the pressure is nearer the max, and the velocities have not been as consistent for me . . . though accuracy is good. (1/2" groups)

So . . . Preventec . . . enLIGHTen us; why are lighter bullets better?
    Do you just like the flatter trajectory?
    I'm going Elk and Mule Deer hunting with my 7mm Rem Mag, and a 150 gr TTSX seemed like a good choice.

If I were shooting 110 gr bullets, I might grab my Dad's 270 WSM instead . . .

9. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Based on a quick search, it looks like H4831 or H1000 would be good choices...

284_4_140