7mm Remington Ultra Mag

Agreed on the ignored content of the Bill of Rights.

Agreed on the heavier bullet, slower velocity equals better groups. But, that does not mean you cannot get good groups from lighter weight, higher velocity bullets. The Nosler Ballistic Tips have been one of my pet peeves about not staying together, and the SST is about the same. Shot them out of my 7 Mag, 7mm08, 30.06 and .280. But, they give good accuracy, and for the ranges and game I am hunting, they work ok. Still aggitates me.

I have had this 7mm RUM since 2005, but am just now starting to play with it, and would like to find a good 140gr load. Factory ammo is shooting really well, but it is just too expensive, especially since I have all these 7mm bullets and reloading equipment.
Give the 154gr interbond a ride I think you'll be very happy. Also the 150gr Swift Sicrocco.

Both have BC's over .510 and give extremely good terminal performance on game.

I found both the SST and AMAX to just be way too explosive in the STW at under 400yds.

The 140gr Accubond has a BC of .480 or so and the 160gr is around .525-.530. I shot the 160's this year out of my 7mm STW on three does and found the terminal performace and accuracy to be outstanding.

I have 154 gr Interbond, 160 gr Accubond and 162gr A Max, but, I would rather use one of the many 140 or 139 gr bullets I have. I will see what happens. I know on my M1A and 7mm08, I have found to have the best accuracy at about 2600fps with 168gr MK, across the course.

Agreed on the ignored content of the Bill of Rights.

Agreed on the heavier bullet, slower velocity equals better groups. But, that does not mean you cannot get good groups from lighter weight, higher velocity bullets. The Nosler Ballistic Tips have been one of my pet peeves about not staying together, and the SST is about the same. Shot them out of my 7 Mag, 7mm08, 30.06 and .280. But, they give good accuracy, and for the ranges and game I am hunting, they work ok. Still aggitates me.

I have had this 7mm RUM since 2005, but am just now starting to play with it, and would like to find a good 140gr load. Factory ammo is shooting really well, but it is just too expensive, especially since I have all these 7mm bullets and reloading equipment.

In my opinion, I would say the 140 accubonds will do well along with Barnes. They will both stay together well and penetrate good.

Welcome. Im' not sure of the twist rate on the factory Sendero but as a rule I wouldn't shoot anything unde 160gr and would look to the 180-190gr offerings if you can find them and it will stabilize them.

Check your paperwork that came with it and see what the twist rate is and then compare it to the twist rate recommendations of the bullet mfg's you plan to use.

When that day in the future comes to rebarrel it Shilen is a good choice but so are Benchmark, Bartlein, Krieger, Hart, and many others. Today we are not limited to just a handful of good barrel makers like we were 30-40 years ago.

Find a bullet you like that it shoots well, then tweak your load till you hit the sweet spot.

Be patient when shooting and just don't get it hot and keep shooting and it'll last you quite a long time. As a rule if you'll keep to 3 shot groups and not average more than 1 round per two-3 minutes at the bench you'll get a lot of life out of any barrel even in such an overbored caliber like the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM. 1-10 twist on sendero 7mm RUM.

I tend to shoot three shots in fairly quick succession and then put it down and pick up another rifle and start with it giving each rifle a minimum of 5-10 minutes to cool down between groups even on cold days.

thanks for the input on 7mmRum. what scope setup are you using on your setups. looking a t a vortex with up to 24x. will be shooting 800 to 1200 yrds easy once i figure out the 7mm. this kind of shooting is on my bucket list and its gonna happen. nice to reach out and achieve a dream every once in a while. thanks for the help!

+1 for 160 Accubonds , Shot faster than expected with good accuracy.
+1 for 180 Bergers, Shot slower but, felt they bucked wind better.

For hunting and 800-1200Y go with the Accubonds=...if going more get more BC/slower bullet.

With the 160's it still feels like a hot rod at 3200-3400fps

140's are too light for distance imho.

I like the 160's. I have several groups that are sub 3/4". I'm pushing to 3245fps and stopped there. I'm also under book max by 1.5gr with US-869. I have not however used them at long distance yet but hopefully soon but accuracy is better than I thought it would be.

thanks for the input on 7mmRum. what scope setup are you using on your setups. looking a t a vortex with up to 24x. will be shooting 800 to 1200 yrds easy once i figure out the 7mm. this kind of shooting is on my bucket list and its gonna happen. nice to reach out and achieve a dream every once in a while. thanks for the help!
I have Nightforce Rails on the Remington and an EGW HD on the Mod 70. Low rings for each and a Mark 4 8.5-25x50 on the remington and a Vortex Viper 4.5-16x50 on the Mod 70.

If you plan on shooting at those ranges you probably want to go with a 10 or 20 MOA rail to help with the extra drop.

purchased a vortex viper today 6 x 24. what other scope setups do others shoot. gonna have to order rings in for this application. If shooting 1000 yrd stuff the retumbo powder keeps coming up and gonna start here! also gonna start with the 180vdl good BC. chasin some accuracy. berger has a 168vdl any one familiar with. this is on the shelf at our store and will start here soon.gun) gaining knowledge and hope to get this little monster together here soon.

purchased a vortex viper today 6 x 24. what other scope setups do others shoot. gonna have to order rings in for this application. If shooting 1000 yrd stuff the retumbo powder keeps coming up and gonna start here! also gonna start with the 180vdl good BC. chasin some accuracy. berger has a 168vdl any one familiar with. this is on the shelf at our store and will start here soon.gun) gaining knowledge and hope to get this little monster together here soon.
You cannot beat the TPS-TSR or HRT Rings.

http://www.tpsproducts.com/index.php?cPath=14&osCsid=lvi76tvebo5vc2pndptdgj46v6

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts