7mm Remington Mag to 7mm RUM Conversion Possible?

Good

Hello, what is involved in re-chambering a 7mm Rem Mag to 7RUM? Can this be done to the existing barrel or does this necessitate a barrel swap? Savage stainless heavy barrel, 26", 1:9.5 twist. What do you think?

the barrel may need to be set back just a bit to over come the belt but with out a manual here I couldn't tell ya, but all it takes is the reamer slid in the chamber and wa-la out comes the 7mm RUM. I think that the body of the UM is big enough you will not have to set back the barrel and since you are lengthening the chamber you will be in fresh rifling too. It should work just fine.

The barrel can be readily rechambered to 7RUM without issue, however, the length of your rifles action and magazine will prohibit this conversion unless this was originally an ultra magnum length action.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought a long action was a long action was a long action length-wise. I didn't know there were different lengths until getting up to the 338 Lapua mag and the like cartridges. Hmmm, what to do, what to do...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.