7mm rem saum

kevinj

will the 7mm saum shooting the 162 amax or the heavier smk or vld's feed properly from the short action magazine?

thanks
kevin

I doubt it, you will probably need to lengthen the magazine.
The other option is to get a walkabout magazine length load for shooting at close range, 140 accubond, 140 barnes or similar and then load the 162 a-max to the right length and use them single shot. You'll only need one shot anyway:D.
Jarhead on here has a single shot 7saum and doesn't feel handicapped by the single shot.

Stu.

I've got one built on a Savage SA. If I seat the Amax .010 off the lands I can not use the magazine.

I just do like Stu said, put a 160 gr AB in the chamber in case something pops out close, switch to the 162 Amax to reach out.

Chris

what about building one on a long action? would there be any feeding problems?

kevin

I am not sure if there will be any problems. I don't think so, you hear of people building 6.5/284 on LA without any problems. Talk to the gunsmith you are thinking about using.
Milling out the back of the short action and fitting an extended magazine box is not a big job if you already have a SA, although if it is a Rem Model 7 there probably isn't enough metal at the back of the magazine to do it. A Rem Model 700 won't be a problem.

Stu.

Last year I had my custom 7 SAUM built on a Surgeon short actions and I love it. I'm pushing the 162 at 3057 fps with 65.5 gr of H1000. My rifle loves them loaded .005" into the lands giving a COAL of 3.017"

IMO a mag feed is not needed. If the first shot misses then the conditions need to be re-evaluated and the scope adjusted. That takes a lot longer than reloading a single shot. My wife and I killed 3 mule deer in about 30 seconds last year with no problem. Here's the story.

Mine feeds 168gr Bergers seated at 2.825 just fine. It is a factory action/magazine. it shoots right at .5 moa (3 shot groups including cold bore) with H4831SC.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.