7mm Rem Mag

Courtgus

I am new to reloading and long range shooting but I am wanting to get a 7mm Rem Mag for long range hunting but I keep reading about the 7RM being "finiky".

Is the 7RM harder to load for than say the 300Win mag?

Thanks

Jamie

I have been reloading the 7mmRM for 15yrs, and the 300WM for 10yrs. Never had a problem with any of them. I have actually found good loads for the 7mm faster and easier than the 300WM, but thats just my guns.

I've been loading for my 7mag for 16yrs.What I've seen is,most of the published loads are well below the max.My rifles seem to shoot their best when loaded near max.Every rifle is different.Try different powders,bullets,seating depths,do the ladder test for your loads,watch for pressure signs and get a chrony if you don't have one,so you know where your at with your loads.Velocities you can expect:
with 140gr bullets-3150-3250fps
with 150gr bullets 3100-3200fps
with 160gr bullets 3000-3100fps
Some may get higher,depends,this will give you an idea about what to expect from your loads.
I usually load the lighter weight bullets,139-140gr in mine for primarily deer.I like:
65.0grs of IMR-4350
69.5grs of either Reloader-22 or Winchester WXR
Here's to good shooting for you.
7mag 3 shots 100yds on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
I've owned many 7mm's over the years. I have found it very easy to load for.
I shoot mostly 140gr bullets, but I don't shoot near the ranges a lot do on the board.
68gr RL22 & a 140gr Nosler Accubond has shot well under an inch in over 1/2 a dozen 7mm's I have tried now.
Speed ranging from 3050 FPS in a 22" factory barrel all the way up to mid 3350 FPS in my 24" custom Ted Gaillard barrel with a 1-9 twist.
I have a 24" Krieger in 7mm coming in a couple weeks & hope to see similar #'s that I get with my Ted barrel.
3290 FPS is the fastest I have gotten with a factory 1-9.5 24" Sako barrel. It took 70gr RL22 to do that.

my 7 mags shoot just as good as the 300s. the guns and especailly the barrels determine if they are "finiky".

I have found the same as above to be true. My 7mm likes em hot. Be careful reaching max loads and watch for pressure signs. However I would not hesitate buying the 7mm for long range. The bullet selection and ballistics are stellar for this cartridge!

I have shot hot loads and 7mm-08 performance loads in my 7mm Mag. All acceptable performance. My worst load was R25, 168gr SMK at 1-1.2inches @100 yards.

The 7easy 7 mm rm Is a easy load follow the book to start with. The load that my 7mm loves is a 150 gr CT ballistic silver tip pushed by 67 gr of IMR 7828. But it has liked all but maybe 2 loads out of 30 or so.

i really like my 7 rem mag. I had a bit of trouble at first due to poor bedding. I floated it and bedded it and whammo. sub moa. I really like the a-max i think they are 162gr with rl22. very nice to shoot. just remeber that bedding is very important as is floating. I also recommend a limbsaver recoil pad. made a really big difference for me. Happy shooting

I do something nobody else that I know agrees with or does, but two
years ago after shoulder surgery I had to reduce the recoil and I researched
the Barnes bullets. Even though they are lighter starting out ( and faster )
at the end of the trip they weigh the same as much heavier bullets because
they stay together so well. SO instead of downloading my 7mm with what
I used to like in the 150 -165 gr range bullets I switched over totally
to 110 gr Barnes solid copper for deer and hog hunting. I an getting
right at 3450 fps with drastically reduced recoil. There is simply no need
to use heavy bullets any more unless you are perhaps hunting grizzlies.

Consider how well 25-06 and maybe 243 do with 110 gr and then add
a few hundred extra fps. If you try this you will never go back to heavy
bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.