7mm Rem. Mag.

James P Morris

Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I have been reloading since 1968. I have reloaded for a lot of cartridges in my time both Pistol and Rifle, some wildcats included. I live where the pavement ends. A little village called Timberon NM it's south of Cloudcroft about 32 miles. Love to hunt but I also love to get the most out of a cartridge I can get. I love to work up sub-minute of angle loads...

I have a problem though. I recently purchased a Savage 7 MM Mag. I like it but I am having some problems finding a good load for a 175 gr. Speer. Just can't seem to find a loading that groups under an inch. Can someone help me?

Well, the rifle may just not be capable with that bullet of doing what you're wanting. Most Savage rifles can be hand loaded for to astonishingly accurate guns but not every single unit makes it.

You don't mention which of the speer bullets you're using. The Trophy Bonded Bear Claw will be best with a 1:9.5 or faster twist to be properly stable. The others should stabilize easily at 1:10 Also, you don't mention the twist on your rifle. So first thing's first, make sure you've got enough twist. If you get your barrel twist and muzzle velocity I can run the math for you.

Once I've got velocities worked out to where I need them and being consistent then I tune with seating depth. If it won't group, change powders. That's how I do it anyway. My powders of preference are IMR 4350, US869, H1000.

JPM, most Savage 7mm have 1:9.25 twist. Savage makes accurate barrels. Between my family and friends there are seven 7mags of various makes. All shoot extremely well with 168 Berger VLD Hunting and H1000. Seems like this combo is just the ticket. I'm certain other loads will do the same, but this has been proven X7.
Welcome and good luck

You may want to try a different bullet to see of your rifle prefers. I have had problems in my 25-06 rem getting the Speer bullets to group. Just for fun I tried different bullets and found that my rifle likes the Sierra bullets better, groups went from 3" down to .5".
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry it took awhile to reply, I've been out of town. The twist in my barrel is 1:9.25 and the Speer bullets are Grand Slam. Just looking for a place to start and trying to cut down the time involved in working up a load for Speer bullets. I haven't loaded speer bullets for some time. Any help would be appreciated.

I would also look at a different bullet. I have had good luck in multiple 7's using a 168 with RE 22. If I can't get a load to group in a rifle, I load up some Sierra matchkings. if it won't shoot those, it's time to look at the rifle / scope.

I generally use Nossler or Sierra, but a friend gave me a full box of Speer 180b gr, Grand Slams. Just trying to find a load that will work.

JPM, most Savage 7mm have 1:9.25 twist. Savage makes accurate barrels. Between my family and friends there are seven 7mags of various makes. All shoot extremely well with 168 Berger VLD Hunting and H1000. Seems like this combo is just the ticket. I'm certain other loads will do the same, but this has been proven X7.
Welcome and good luck

I use this same powder/ bullet combo, its a great combination. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.