7mm Rem Mag Reamer

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by denphillips2, Aug 4, 2010.

1. denphillips2

denphillips2 Well-Known Member

I am setting up a long range hunting gun for a buddy of mine. It will be a 7mm Rem Mag on a Remington. He picked up a Bartlien 8.5 twist in a palma contour. The barrel has about 300 rounds on it and is chambered for 284 and 32" long, so there is plenty of room to get a great barrel out of it especially for what he paid for it.

My question is, what should I get for a reamer as far as free bore and neck. Most likely looking for a minimum no turn neck diameter.

From what I have seen looks like the bullet of choice will be in the 168-180 grain weight.

Open to any input.

Yes, I will call Dave Kiff and talk to him also for his recommendation.
    Might just go with a zero free bore and a separate throater.

Thanks!
    Denny

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Get a standard finish chambering reamer. Use a throating reamer to cut the throat to your chosen bullet after you have shot it some (in case your barrel doesn't like the particular projectile you have chosen).

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

+1
    Excellent advice.

Stay with a SAAMI spec reamer to start with and adjust the loads to improve accuracy.

PT&G,Manson and Clymer all make good reamers.

J E CUSTOM

4. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

Do you plan on using it as a repeater or SS if repeater I would put a Wyatt box on the build.
    I like to order my reamers with the proper free bore so I can duplacate the exact free bore on the next build.