7mm Rem Mag - Gamekings or Interlocks

338winmag

Hunting Colorado Mule Deer and Elk. I am using my 7mm Rem Mag as a backup rifle only and already have excellent 150 gr Nolser Partition loads but wanted one other nice hunting load. In the past with another 7mm Rem Mag, I had pressure issues with the Sierra 160 gr gameking but that could just have been the rifle.

Anyone have experience. opinions or comments whether they prefer Sierra Gamekings or Hornady Interlocks? Also Interlock 154 or 162 or Sierra 160s?

Thanks for all comments
338winmag

I think you are good to go with your partition load. The interlock would be my choice of the two mentioned, but, I would work up a 160 Partition or TSX if I just HAD to come up with a new load :).

Hunting Colorado Mule Deer and Elk. I am using my 7mm Rem Mag as a backup rifle only and already have excellent 150 gr Nolser Partition loads but wanted one other nice hunting load. In the past with another 7mm Rem Mag, I had pressure issues with the Sierra 160 gr gameking but that could just have been the rifle.

Anyone have experience. opinions or comments whether they prefer Sierra Gamekings or Hornady Interlocks? Also Interlock 154 or 162 or Sierra 160s?

Thanks for all comments
338winmag

What don't you like about the 150gr Nosler Partition load?

If you just want to stretch it out for long range, then have a look at the 160 Nosler AB or 168 Berger.

-- richard

Go with either as long as the rifle likes it a lot. I've put the 140 pro hunter throught the hip ball of a white tail doe (North Dakota deer) at 300 yards while she was running(forward raking shot) and the recovered bullet held 60% and change. I haven't hunted hornady in 7mm much(I usually use sierra or nosler) but in 30 cal I've never caught a bullet out of over twenty deer killed with the 165 hornady flat base in my 300 win. Popular priced bullets are underrated imo.

The 150 gr partition is the primary go to round for this rifle. But I want a secondary round and wanted some comments on Sierra and Hornadys.

If I could get some 160 gr NAB seconds, then I would go there.

Thanks all
338winmag

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.