7mm Rem Mag for long range work

craigp40

Hi folks. Although I haven't posted here before, I have been watching for a while and learning from all the discussions.

The reason for my post is to gain some opinions on a project I have coming up. Although I have experience with mid-range hunting/shooting, I'm ready to move up to a custom rig for long range work. I have a M70 action in 300 WM that I will build off of. I'm looking for something I can hunt deer with out to 800yds and punch paper beyond that when the opportunity rolls around. Without getting into a great amount of rework to the action, I've narrowed my chambering choices to the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 WM. Rifle will be about 12 lbs. Obviously, the 300 will do it better at the longer ranges, but I'm not too interested in the added recoil when shooting off a bench. I already have a 300RUM that kicks the snot out of me off the bench (8.5 lb rifle), so I'm looking for this rig to be enjoyable to shoot for long sessions. Muzzle brake is not an option, as I don't care for the added noise levels.

With all that said, do you believe the 7mm RM is adequate for the purposes I mention above? How do you rate it as a long range rig using the heavier bullets available for it? What do you think about going with a 300 WM and loading it for lite recoil? This is the last decision I have to make on my custom rig, so I just wanted some additional input to what I have already gotten from others.

You might want to consider the 7 WSM and 300 WSM. Same bullets, same MV, shorter case without a belt. Norma is making quality brass. With a magnum action you can load the long VLD bullets in a mag quite easily.

Brougton 5C Rifling barrel 9 twist for 7 and 11 twist for 30
would be my choice for barrels also. 5C is faster, less pressure and easier to clean than regular barrels. Top notch barrel right now.

BH

Thanks BountyHunter.
I actually did consider the WSM line in both, but after talking to Chris Matthews, he recommended against it for 2 reasons. He has not had a great deal of luck getting the WSM cases to feed properly in the action I am using, a M70. It can be turned into a single shot, however this action doesn't lend itself to be converted easily, so he thought the added cost to convert it would not justify its usefulness.

As for the barrel, I am going to use the 5C. Just need to settle on a cartridge. I'll give it until tomorrow, then make a final decision and send the action in on Sat. If I had to make the decision right now, it would be the 7 RM. Hopefully, I get some more input to feel completely confident.

I'm just starting out at the long range game, but I've been shooting a 7mm Mag for some time now. I have been getting encouraging results from from Nosler BTs. Three shot groups are well under .5" and five shot groups are under an inch at 100yrds.

I wish I could offer more encouraging input like long range balistics, but I've "only" been shooting mine to 500 yards and not any further.(yet) At 500yard my come up is 9 MOA. I don't know how flat shooting that is or not, but it seems pretty good. I can load one hundered and six rounds from one can of H4831SC and that is more shooting for less money than I can get from my 300WM.

I know that your gun, bullet, powder will be different from mine, but maybe that will give you some basis of comparison.

I personally think that for the velocities and retained energy levels, it's a good compromise between smaller and larger calibers and cartridges. There is also a good selection of light and heavier bullets to choose from.

I'm shooting a stock Remington Sendero and Leupold Mark 4. I wish I could offer more, but I'm just getting started and haven't shot it enough to offer anymore actual experience. Good Luck!!

Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.