7mm rem mag enough gun?

hey ltlr i have settled on the 338 rum with a 28'' barrel and brakeon it. i have a new rem 700 action that is new and putting it in a manners stock, i want the best accuracy i can get but dont want a real heavy gun, a bit of weight good but a lot not so much.
cheers

hey ltlr i have settled on the 338 rum with a 28'' barrel and brakeon it. i have a new rem 700 action that is new and putting it in a manners stock, i want the best accuracy i can get but dont want a real heavy gun, a bit of weight good but a lot not so much.
cheers
Unless you are a very big man you'll find that anything under 14lbs is probably not going to be a lot of fun to shoot in that caliber.

If at all possible find someone in your area who will let you shoot their's before you commit and decide on barrel diameter etc.

43lbs of recoil energy is a lot. Most people cannot tolerate more than 15lbs comfortably.

A heavier package reduces felt recoil considerably because it's a greater mass that has to be moved.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Not trying to scare you off by any means just trying to inform.

An experienced shooter between 200-250lbs or more isn't going to have much issue with it, but without the right setup, a guy/gal who's 150lbs dripping wet isn't likely to go more than two or three shots before starting to flinch.

I have a factory rem 700 off the shelf 338 RUM stainless that I have accurized. I shot a very nice 6x6 bull at 740 yards on the first elk hunt with it. I shoot this rifle quite a bit to 800 yards and it is deadly to that range. May be deadly further I just consider it a lightweight 800 yard killer and I have other rifles for serious long range. I have been shooting the 225 accubonds in it but am now testing the 225 cutting edge bullets.

Recoil is not an issue with the 225's and is mild. I don't even notice it. The 300 grain bullets will get your attention in this light a rifle. Mine shoots the 300's very accurately at 2730 fps. I can push them to 2800 fps but best accuracy at 2730 fps. At the ranges inside 1000 yards where I feel this rifle is best suited I like the 225 grain bullets best.

This week I have tested the 225 CE bullets with the .64 bc and getting fantastic results in everything I have shot them in. In this rifle the best accuracy seems to be between 3240 and 3260 fps. Run the ballistics on this load and you see why I go with it instead of the 300 grainers. No recoil and at the ranges I use this gun a .64 bc at 3250 fps is deadly to beyond 1000 yards.

I have not shot game with the CE bullets so have no idea there other than reports from others. I will start that testing process in August with caribou in Alaska. I plan on testing this bullet at close and long range in a couple rifles so I get a good idea throughout the velocity range. I have five tags. I will report on that when I get back in Sept.

I can tell you this is one of the best all around hunting rifles made. If a guy wanted one rifle to hunt everything with the 338 RUM is a good choice. Caliber minimums for some dangerous game in Africa would be the only limiting factor.

yeh the bloke who is building the rifle was talking about the accubond 225 grn in it and thinks it will be fine bullet to run out to a mile, the rifle is not going to be 'light' and i plan on having a muzzle break on it wich should drop that recoil down a fair bit, but will see what grain bullet is the best for me but i will probably settle on 225 or 250grain pills. if yas have any loads that seem to be good let me know what powders and weight yall use but it will be hard to get us powders in oz.
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.