7MM Rem Mag Dies

WRG

Sorry if this question has been asked before but here it goes. I just bought a new X-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. Due to be in any day now. The 7mm is a new cal for me as far as reloading goes. I will be setting this rifle up as a 300 yard or better hunting rifle, so I am currently in the market for set of dies. I use a RCBS RC IV press and now use RCBS X-sizer die & RCBS competition seater die for my Rem M700P TWS .308 with very good results. I wouldn't mind trying another manufacturers dies if the 7mm experts here feel I could see better results. So if this was your new rifle what dies would you use? I want to get the most I can out of the rifle. I do have and use the best "IMO" tools for reloading as far as everything else goes. But have only used RCBS & Lyman dies for the calibers I currently load now so I wouldn't know of anything better. If you have used the RCBS dies I use and have gone to something else with much better results I'd be glad to hear your comments and suggestions. Money is not an issue I just want to use the best there is.

Thanks Bill

I started off with all RCBS. Now I only use Redding and Forster. I've been loading for 2 decades if that means anything.

Opinions on "the best there is" will vary. Even RCBS' comp dies are good I hear. If you really want to use what is best, then I suggest you spend $400+ and get some custom dies made to the exact spec you want. I feel this expense is unnecessary as the bulk of my reloads have shot very well, especially in the last 10 years.

WRG,

I have been loading for a long time as well, since I was 12yrs old. I started using RCBS andther is nothing wrong with them. they are good dies, but over the last 8-10 yrs, I've been acquiring more Redding dies. They seem to me to be a little higher quality and the adjustments are easier to make on them. I like the Hornady dies as well, but prefer the Redding. I have 11 sets of RCBS, 5 sets of Redding, 1 Hornady. and 1 Lee pistol dies.

Ifi I had my way all would sets would have Redding Bushing sizer dies and Redding Competition Seater dies.

I am needing a set of custom dies this year and I'm having Hornady make them due to cost and turnaround time.

I guess it's ultimately a decision of personal preferance.

Dan :)

I use, for my 7RM, the RCBS Competition FL dies and the RCBS Competition seater (with the side window), when i want to make only the neck sizing: Lee Collet Die ..... poor and youg reloader .... but it work for me. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.